Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best way to shore up a clay trench?

JacqG
Cultivating a Following

What is the best way to shore up a clay trench?

Thanks for any assistance. We got a guy to dig a trench at the lower part of a small embankment, along the dirt driveway to the drain. He only had one bucket size so really the trench was too wide to begin with, about 40-50cm. The trench is clay. Now each time it rains , here and there small areas of that embankment wall in the trench, collapse. What would be the best solution to ensuring the trench never collapses?

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What is the best way to shore up a clay trench?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JacqG. It's great to have you join us. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have a new project to share. We have helpful members sharing advice and inspiration on the site every day.

Could we please trouble you to take a few photos of the area so members can get a better understanding of what you are working with? From your description it sounds like you might need to build some sort of retaining wall or perhaps fill the trench with drainage gravel. Are you planning on installing any plumbing?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @JacqG 

Hard to stop natural erosion from happening  but given the size of the  trench consider lining it with  black  plastic (super tough)

Or  some thing like

GRUNT 1 x 10m Non Woven Geotextile Membrane Drain Mat Fabric I/N: 1090843 $43.77

• Filtration layer for drainage
  • Prevention and management of soil erosion
  • Prevents mixing of landscape materials
GRUNT Non-Woven Geo Textile Membrane is a white, synthetic layer that is ideal for use in drainage, filtration, separation, reinforcement and more. Primarily used by landscapers, plumbers and civil contractors, it is a hard wearing and cheap, effective solution for the management and prevention of soil erosion and moisture loss.

Also the more permament Plastic  drains and  or concrete as a more durable options.

Hope this helps

JacqG
Cultivating a Following

thanks Jason...no were weren't planning to more than dig a trench/gutter for rain to flow away into a drain and stop it from flowing over the gravel driveway - which now in all this heavy south cast rain forming mini erosion channels. Partner is thinking of using reo. And perhaps that together with the geo might be the go. Will put up some pics when I go out again.. thanks

JacqG
Cultivating a Following

thanks for that, I like the idea of the geo too...partner thinks it not aesthetically pleasing but my mind is on the erosion...

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @JacqG 

Welcome to the Bunnings community :smile: Ther are so many questions and projects in here that hopefully you will find an answer to your trench issue.

Love playing with drain issues for some reason (Think its because I like digging)

Any chance of a couple of pics of the trench and driveway? Might help in some ideas.

How deep is your trench? My first thought was to lay down gravel (20mm size)  in the trench by say 5cm then install some french drain pipe reln stretch ag pipe 100mm x 8m slotted and socked then cover with more gravel. That way the sides wont collapse, the gravel will allow for drianage and the socked pipe will handle quantities in storms. 

Might change my idea of what to suggest when I see some pics :smile: At the moment I am thinking a downwards slopping driveway with the drain on the left of it looking at the road... :smile: hahahah But really, work with the water and see where it flows, then match your drainage to where you want it to go. 

Dave

Hi @JacqG 

I think I see where your guys are going  with the reo as a  frame I am guessing.

Also consider villaboard cut up into strips to line you trench walls a cement product so it will last and be cheaper than reo.

Black  plastic  in the trench and fill it with brick rubble  will last a long time search on line for chunky brick  rubble recyclers to get cheapest deliverys. Then you can  drive  walk over pit like its not there.  Also  on Gum tree look for free bricks go pick em up as fill.  The  top  layer put some  nicer stones to your taste  or recycled rubble i use  for concreting if avaliable in your  area

JacqG
Cultivating a Following

sorry weather is so very bad its interfering with the internet and I'm finding to tricky#@!! to load pics currently..

JacqG
Cultivating a Following

I really like that idea... thanks Dave! We will do something like that...

JacqG
Cultivating a Following

oops soz Jewellryrescue HAHA! Your ideas are good too. many thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects