Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is a durable low-maintainance pool deck?

Zenia
Just Starting Out

What is a durable low-maintainance pool deck?

IMG_7650.jpeg

Hi all,

Just joined this awesome group to build my DIY skills. I am planning to redo our pool deck which is splintering. Was looking for advice on low maintainence durable material.  Will have a handy man to help. About 1x10metres length. Thank u !!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is a durable low-maintainance pool deck?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Zenia. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about decking around a pool.

Timber decking can be used around the pool, but you must ensure a maintenance oil coat is performed at least once a year. With fully exposed areas such as yours, I'd suggest a re-coat every six months so it doesn't dry out and begin to crack and splinter. A maintenance coat of oil should only take around 30mins to apply. Apart from hardwood decking, such as Merbau, you could look towards composite decking, such as Ekodeck. Composite decking typically outperforms traditional timber around pools with low maintenance, rot resistance, and durability. Unlike wood, it doesn't need staining, resists mould, and is insect-proof. The textured surface enhances safety, and its weather-resistant properties ensure longevity. Despite a higher initial cost, composite decking offers long-term savings, making it an ideal and visually appealing choice for low-maintenance poolside environments.

Check out @ProjectPete's amazing Poolside composite decking

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Zenia,

Another great example of a maintenance deck for around a pool is the timber-free deck with steel frame by experienced member @Adam_W. He also included a video of the build.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you!

Zenia
Just Starting Out

Thanks Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects