Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What does L3 MGP10 Treated Pine mean?

Wheats
Having an Impact

What does L3 MGP10 Treated Pine mean?

I’m looking at buying some timber & the timber is listed as 90x45 L3 MGP10 T/Pine. Does anyone know what the “L3” means? Would this be the same as “H3” treated?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: L3 MGP10 Treated Pine

Hello @Wheats 

That's a very interesting question, I'm familiar with the "H" grading of treated timber and the MGP10 tag which means that it is rated for a certain amount of stress. I'll have to make a few inquiries regarding an L3 rating. As soon as I have more information, I'll get back to you.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What does L3 MGP10 Treated Pine mean?

Hello @Wheats 

My apologies for the late reply, I've been doing a fair bit of looking around for the classification of L3 and it's been difficult to find any solid documentation about it. The rest of the classification on the timber is quite clear and that is MGP10 means that it has been rated for stress and T/Pine means that it has been treated for outdoor use but to what degree I'm not sure.

I've been in contact with our timber supplier at Hyne Timber. They suggested forwarding a picture of the timber tag if possible to info@hyne.com.au and a description of the timber and what you would like to know.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Wheats
Having an Impact

Hi @EricL @Thanks for the reply. I actually spoke to someone who said the “L3” stands for the “LOSP” treatment level. 
I can’t find what different levels of “LOSP” treatments there are, but i do believe that if L3 is on the timber it is treated. 
Thanks for your help.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Wheats 

The LOSP translates to Light Organic Solvent Preservative. It is a waterproof timber treatment. LOSP may include synthetic pyrethroids, imidacloprid, azoles or copper naphthenates, which are all pesticides, but as it uses a solvent such as white spirit to contain the insecticides and fungicides, it is less hazardous than other timber treatments.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Wheats and @EricL 

And I just learned something new :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects