Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What concrete for a garden path: quickset or regular?

caxelby
Getting Established

What concrete for a garden path: quickset or regular?

Hello all, I am planning to make a garden path using a concrete mold such as in the picture. My query relates to which type of mix is better for this type of thing, quick set or regular? Is there much difference to the end result? The path will not be heavily used, it is just to run alongside my vegetable patch.

IMG_4185.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: What concrete for a garden path: quickset or regular?

Hello @caxelby,

This is such an exciting project. Let me tag some of our ever-helpful Workshop members @Adam_W@Nham and @HarrietArthur to see if they have any suggestions on the type of concrete you can use for your garden path.

In the meantime, I recommend reading Adam's comprehensive guide How to choose cement and concrete for handy tips.

I'd love to see the final results of this project. Please keep us updated.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Regular for a walking path. Quick set for putting in posts. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @caxelby,

@Brad is on the money there; I'd suggest standard Bastion 20kg Concrete Mix. If you'd like to colour it, you can add oxide.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Can I just add to this... I'm planning to do the same thing? If you use the regular concrete, how long should you let it set before removing the mold to lay the next section? Also what it's recommended to put on the gaps afterwards?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jac875. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about concrete molds.

As these moulds are not something we sell, it is hard to put a time frame on how long to leave them in place before removing them. It would be best to refer to the manufacturer's instructions. Regarding our concrete, it would likely be best to leave the mould in place for 24 hours to be sure it's cured enough to hold its shape.

The moulds appear to create several individual paving stones, not a solid slab with an imprint. Given they are individual pavers, they should not be set with a rigid grouting and should have sand placed between them as per paving guidelines.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects