Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are these granite blocks called?

johnmisk2021
Getting Established

What are these granite blocks called?

Asking for name of this type of block. Also where they are available. Size is 9cms square

C181BDD4-B141-42E2-9F55-8F0242FEE8B9.jpeg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What are these granite blocks called?

Hi @johnmisk2021 

Well looks like your standard Igneous Rock I have some of it and would  call it granite.   Which dosnt seam to matter much as mine never comes  when i call it any how.

That 9 cm looks like those stones you find in those wire stone retaining wall type paks.

Depending on your needs maybe that sort of company can help you. maybe

STONEANDROCK.com.au has really nice 90mm x 90mm x 25 mm  as a start

https://stoneandrock.com.au/collections/granite-products/products/mesh-backing-granite-cobblestone-p...

Where did i get mine I dont remenber I have a thing when I travel in OZ I will pick up a nice interestng stone and bring it home its going to drive a geologist nuts  one day, all the mixed rock types in the one place.

Hi @johnmisk2021

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. It's definitely a quarried stone broken to this very specific size for fencing. You'll probably need to source it from a specific stone and quarry garden store. If you're thinking about building a gabion fence you can always use Tuscan Path 1.5kg 30 - 50mm Natural Stone White Pebbles. They are big enough to stay stuck inside a standard wired stone fence. Are you currently trying to do a repair or replacement? 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Apologies for late response  Thank you for your helpful advice advice

Apologies for late response   I found probably about 40 of these at my latest res. and wanted to find a description and use for them. Thank you for your advice Eric

NaturalStone
Just Starting Out

Hi johnmisk2021 

The stone is called Tiger Skin, it is a granite native to China and it comes many forms into Australia whether its paving, cobblestones or cladding. Typically you can buy these as per the picture but will need to be wet set into concrete, which very labour intensive  Best bet is to find cobbles that are split faced with a sawn back so you can direct stick to a concrete slab. Most of these are 20mm thick. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects