Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What BBQ backing on blueboard (fibrecement) wall?

Thebuchans
Just Starting Out

What BBQ backing on blueboard (fibrecement) wall?

Hi all :smile:

We are just putting together our nunning outdoor kitchen and have a blueboard wall behind it. We tried using the render paint on it but it looks terrible.

Ideas on what we can clad the wall with that's nice and heatproof?

Was thinking those composite boards like fake oak slats in 1m sections that they often use behind tvs etc but I'm pretty sure they aren't fire/heat proof.

Thoughts?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: BBQ backing on blueboard (fibrecement) wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Thebuchans. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about wall cladding.

Can you please start by letting our members know how close the heat source will be to this cladding? Without that information, so they can then hypothesise the actual temperature the cladding will reach, it's a bit difficult to offer suggestions. If the BBQ is going to be hard up against or even in relatively close proximity, I think that rules out any type of combustible material, like composite boards. The only safe answer will be a cement-based board, and even then, not many are designed to be exposed to temperatures above ambient.

Have you had a look through our range of kitchen splashbacks? Those would be heat resistant as long as you stuck with the installation instructions. Be mindful that heat-resistant products typically are not able to resist flame flair-ups that you can experience with a BBQ.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects