Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Waterproofing front door step

Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

Waterproofing front door step

Hi experts,

I have an issue with the front door step of my house. There is humidity coming through inside the house near the front door and I think it's because the door step is not waterproof. 

Can you please advise? (last photo is the humidity inside).

Thank you! 

IMG-3640.JPGIMG-3639.JPG

IMG-3638.jpg

IMG-3641.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Waterproofing front door step

Hello @Coco_M 

It looks like the bottom of your door frame has timber rot damage on it. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of that bottom corner of the door frame. Does the folding weather seal still work when the door closes? Is the other side of the bottom of the door frame rotting as well?

I suspect that water is entering through the corners of your door and settling in on the sides. I believe that the first thing you should try to repair is your doors weather seal at the bottom. You can then turn your attention to repairing the gap fillers that have been damaged.

I propose having a look at Raven 915mm Clear Anodised RP3 Automatic Weather Door Seal as a possible replacement for your old door seal.

To repair the damaged interior gap sealer, I recommend Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when repairing your weather seal.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to silicone a gap

Here is a handy guide that shows you how to install the weather seal:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

Hi,

thanks, I think the Raven is not damaged. However, I think the issue comes from the exterior. There is worn out  sealant between the tiles and the wooden part. What product is that please? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Coco_M,

I'd tend to agree with you that water is penetrating the frame through that crack in the grouting between the tiles and timber. A flexible sealer should be used here instead of rigid grout. 

As a band-aid solution, you can dig the debris out of that crack and try to open it up with a flat-head screwdriver. Chip all that very thin layer of grout away. You'll find it breaks away very easily. Once you've opened the crack up to around 5mm, caulk Sika 310ml Grey Concrete Sikaflex Pro+ Polyurethane Sealant into the crack and smooth it off with your finger covered in soapy water. You want a nice transfer from the grout to the timberwork.

Ideally, it would be best to cut the grout out, open up the joint fully, and then fill it back up with the Sika product. However, the main concern at the moment is closing that crack up and stopping water penetration.

After you've sealed the crack in the grout, take Selleys 430g White No More Gaps Exterior Gap Filler and fill around the bottom of all the timber and window glass on the exterior. There are several smaller gaps that water could also be penetrating. Be very careful when working around the glass, and ensure you do not knock it. Wear appropriate PPE when working around the glass, including safety glass, gloves, a long-sleeved shirt and trousers and enclosed footwear.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Coco_M
Cultivating a Following

Thank you @MitchellMc - Arrows are very helpful!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @Coco_M. Feel free to post a photo of the crack once you've chipped away the grout and opened it up. I'll let you know if you're good to fill it up.

Also, as @EricL mentioned, make sure your door seal closes hard against the timber when the door is closed. Check that there are no gaps under the seal. There's a timber lip on the inside of the threshold, and I suspect the seal might have been installed too high to stop it from fouling on it. If installed too high, it won't seal properly when the door is closed.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects