Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestions for deck applicator and getting between boards?

leesk
Finding My Feet

Suggestions for deck applicator and getting between boards?

Hi all. I'm finally at the point that I need to give the deck a coat of intergrain outdoor oil. 

Before I start I will giving it a thorough deck clean and tape up all the edges. But I wanted to ask for suggestions on the applicator to use and how to get inbetween the edges of the boards. I've seen plenty of decks that haven't gotten inbetween the boards and think it looks really bad. 

The deck is only 21m2 so not a huge deck.

PXL_20230530_064157219.jpg

Thanks 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Suggestions for deck applicator and getting between boards?

Wow @leesk!

Your deck looks incredible, you have put in some hard work. @EricL will be online later this afternoon to assist but check out this great guide by Bunnings How to stain a deck. In it, they give a Pro Tip: "If you want to go the extra mile and stain in between the boards, now's the time. Just use a kitchen sponge or scouring pad, fold it if necessary, dip it into the stain and run it along between the boards. Make sure you wear protective gloves for this part!"

I'll also tag our experienced deck members @MGusto, @Adam_W, and @Jimi to check if they have their own method for getting stain in-between the boards. 

We would love to see your stain choice and how you accomplish your finished look, please update us with photos along the way. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MGusto
Having an Impact

Hi there

I used this one https://www.bunnings.com.au/uni-pro-175mm-jumbo-deck-brush_p1662785 which did a good job of getting in between the the boards - the bristles are nice and long and fine.

I have previously used a wool applicator which doesnt stain in between boards and so I wouldnt recommend it.

Cheers Mike

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great job on the deck @leesk

I would recommend the Intergrain 175mm Deck Brush. I've always previously used a lambswool applicator but tried the brush when oiling the deck this summer and it was terrific. 

When did you put the deck down? I trust you know that it's important to let the boards weather before the first oil

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @leesk 

Those were very good recommendations comming from our members. Let me reiterate the ones that I beleive you should take a moment to ponder on.

• If your decking panles have not been seasoned, It's important to give it time to weather to allow all the excess oils and tannins to leach out. Painting it too early will produce a patchy finish and your sealer will not go on it properly.

• Use a sponge or scouring pad to get in between the dekcing panels. A steady hand will be needed to avoaid spreading the sealer all over the surface by accident. Remember to give this activity time as using a sponge and a pad will take awhile.

• Try to get the best applicator your budget will allow, just like in painting walls a good brush will always spread paint more evenly.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

leesk
Finding My Feet

Thanks for the advice @Jason and @EricL

As for the seasoned comment. The decking boards had a tannin removal and deck clean completed about a month back before I put the boards down. That was in effort to reduce the tannins as much as possible and get a lighter finish when oiled. 

The deck is also 80% under cover in the Alfresco. So I don't think I'll get much natural seasoning and addition tannin leaching out. Would you agree? Or should I still delay and wait?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @leesk 

If you 've used the Intergrain tannin remover and cleaning agents, it should be good enough to start oiling. Just keep an eye on the temperature if you plan on starting early. If it is too cold, I suggest waiting for the temperature to go down to the product's recommended levels. Make sure that there is no condensation on the deck panels.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when you start oiling your deck.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

@leesk I agree with what others have said - a big decking brush is the best way to get between the boards. I use a large hand-held brush for the edges against walls etc. to avoid over-painting

MrSober
Building a Reputation

I agree, I find the deck brushes to work alot better than the wool applicators. After using both I just found the wool pads to be painful especially if its an older deck that isn't super smooth etc as it would get caught on fine splinters and also leave behind fluff. The brush just makes it alot easier to apply and most of the time I found it to easily get between the boards to get the sides also.

I also went the picture frame look and just advise it may be easier to go around the outside with a paint brush first with the grain for a better finish. Takes a bit more time but think it is worth it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects