Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Stain, oil or varnish a 6 month old deck?

BoeingFan
Becoming a Leader

Stain, oil or varnish a 6 month old deck?

Hi Team,

Question, please; About 4 months ago we added this little deck to our place. Initially, I think I used a merbau stained oil. The deck has only had one coat. The second photo below was just after the deck had been hosed off and cleaned, and I'd like to maintain that glossy wet look. Would a varnish be the stuff to do this, and can I do it after an oil based coat has previously been applied?

Thanks,
Jason

Dry as a..Dry as a..

Olay!Olay!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: 6 Month Old Deck - Stain, Oil, or Varnish?

Hi @BoeingFan,

That "wet look" is exactly what it is, a wet deck. I've never seen a deck that actually looks like that in person. I understand that look is incredible; that's why you'll often see some very impressive-looking decks that have been wet down for their glamour shots. I'm no different, and below is a picture of my deck after being watered.

Some concerns I have with you trying to achieve this look: Varnish is not something you can just coat over like an oil once it's deteriorated. You'll be forced to sand the deck entirely to re-coat. Your coating might last three to five years, but you'll be in for a re-sand at that point. Varnishes can also get scratched up, and I'm unaware of any hard varnish coatings designed for trafficked areas. Secondarily, you're going to create an ice rink when it actually rains. That gloss coating will be exceptionally slippery in the rain and could cause injury.

If there were a coating that was non-slip, long-lasting and provided the same look, we'd all be applying it to our decks.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Ok, thanks @MitchellMc 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

@BoeingFan

I Would sand  your deck to 300gt to 600gt bring out the boards  colours again and also try break  through the oil layer . ! litre will do 2 coats and you will have a  near wet look year   round.  Slip  will be determined  be final sanding finish you give it  but 300gt will retain natural grip.

There are more post  anti slip products avaliable if this becomes an issue.

I polished  marble tiles to 150 gr and sealed them  and they are safe in  wet conditions as they have traction.

Then use  a satin finish 

Sikkens 1L Natural Cetol Deck Timber Finish   

I/N 1580495   $57.20  Quick drying

• Ideal for decks and all exterior timber
  • Long lasting weather and UV protection
  • Beautiful transparent low satin finish
  • Lower environmental impact and odour. Compared to a typical solvent-based equivalent
A highly water repellent, weather-resistant, high build transparent coating for exterior timber decks and handrails. For a natural look and extra hard-wearing premium UV protection and durability,  2 coats of Cetol Deck.

Simple to reapply same sikkens in years to come. cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects