Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach a shade sail to a Colorbond fence?

nammytash
Just Starting Out

How to attach a shade sail to a Colorbond fence?

I was hoping someone can help me by telling me what I need and how to go about attaching a shade sail to the posts of my colourbond fence, I need to add additional height to the posts also.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to attach a sunshade to colourbond fence

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nammytash. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing a shadsail.

I think it's important to start by acknowledging that a Colorbond fence post and the size of its concrete footer are by no means suitable or designed to be retrofitted as a shade sail anchoring point. Shade sails in high wind put a significant amount of force on their fixings, and neither the Colorbond fence nor the shade sail manufacturer would advise going with this attachment method. I'd highly recommend you install a separate standalone post of a sufficient calibre and sized footer to cope with the stresses involved. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to install a shade sail. You'll see in the guide how large the posts are even for a small sail, and I'd recommend you consider something along the lines of an Australian Handyman Supplies Steel Fence Post 89 x 89mm x 3.0m Galvanised.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects