Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I paint or sand my Merbau and Pine deck?

stuie
Getting Established

Should I paint or sand my Merbau and Pine deck?

IMG_2008.jpeg

Hi,

I’ve recently had a large part of my deck replaced, the pine had mostly rotted where exposed to the elements. I’ve replaced the rotted section with Merbau due it durability. Initially were were just going to paint, but I’ve fallen in love with the natural Merbau and want to consider oiling… if I were to sand the old pine back and oil the whole deck - how consistent would the look be.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Deck with blend of Merbau and Pine boards

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @stuie. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about decking timbers.

In answer to your question, the results will be noticeably inconsistent, even if you were to stain the Pine with a Merbau colourant. Can I ask, though, if you are sure that's Pine? It looks far more like hardwood than Pine. I do understand it might have been stained/painted and is aged, but without context, if you asked me what that is, I'd say a hardwood, like Merbau.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
stuie
Getting Established

Hey Mitchell, thanks for the reply.

The carpenter who did the deck said it was pine, funny enough a painter asked the same question thinking it was hard wood.

Assuming it’s pine, to get a consistent result (I don’t mind if it’s not 100%) do you think there is any other option other than paint?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You could try staining it with Merbau tinted stain @stuie. It won't look the same, but it will come somewhat close. Once the new Merbau ages, it is going to look very similar to what's there atm. My Merbau deck needs a re-oil, and it looks almost exactly like your Pine deck.

I'm almost 99% sure that's Merbau, not Pine. Can you do me a favour and show me a recently cut end of it or sand a section back in an inconspicuous area? Sand it enough to expose the fresh timber underneath the aged outer darker brown coating.

Mitchell

stuie
Getting Established

IMG_2011.jpeg

Can do, here is a cut end of both the new and old wood on the lower deck that was cut. Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You beauty @stuie! There's my 100%, definitely Merbau! Sand that puppy down, and you'll have a brilliant-looking hardwood deck. What a way to end out the year! 

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to sand a deck.

Happy New Years!! 🎉

Mitchell

stuie
Getting Established

How good, this thing is gonna look a treat once done. Thanks for your help.

Dayne
Getting Established

Sikkens Colours on Pine vs Merbau.jpg

Hi @stuie!

Translucent coloured timber coatings will look different on varying timber.

Attached is a pic from a Sikkens display board, which shows the same coloured coating applied to two different timber types (merbau vs pine).

If trying to match, you can even consider trialling a different colour base coat for the lighter timber vs the one you choose for the dark timber (won't be perfect, but darker colours are a closer match).

There are small sample pots available for purchase from the Bunnings Paint Department.

Click here to view the Sikkens Project Guide.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Should I paint or oil my Merbau and Pine deck?

Hello @stuie,

Great to see you've received advice from our members on refreshing your deck. Deck projects are really popular within our community (like this Deck renewal using floor sander by our community manager @Jason) and I'm sure our members would love to see how you end up transforming your deck. Please do keep us updated with photos. 

Let me also extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have a question or need a hand getting the most out of the site. We'd be happy to assist.

Akanksha

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects