Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I fix gap between external wall and roof?

dbase92000
Getting Established

Should I fix gap between external wall and roof?

Hello all,

I found there is a small gap between 2nd floor and roof on the first floor externally. Do I need to seal this gap to prevent any insect and rodent entering into the house ?or are they for any purpose ? I have attached photos for your reference.Close up from another angle taken from the 2nd floor window.Close up from another angle taken from the 2nd floor window.Taken from the backyard.Taken from the backyard.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Should I fix gap between external wall and roof?

Hello @dbase92000 

Thanks for sharing your question about gaps in your external wall. I'm wondering the same thing does it need to be sealed or is it designed to be that way? Surely the builder would have installed flashing if they were afraid of water ingress. Generally, I would suggest using CAgroup 100mm x 10m Weatherproof Byute Flash Flashing Tape to cover up any gaps.

But in this instance, I suggest holding off. Let me try and get some information regarding that gap. As soon as I have more information, I'll get back to you.

Thank you for your patience

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Should I fix gap between external wall and roof?

Hi @dbase92000,

I can't think of any reason why that section would be left open like that. It would be my advice to seal it with CAgroup 100mm x 10m Weatherproof Byute Flash Flashing Tape to prevent water being blown back up in there in high winds. The flashing will also prevent vermin and insects from using it as an access route.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects