Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recommended expansion gap between Matrix privacy screen panels?

backyardbandit
Growing in Experience

Recommended expansion gap between Matrix privacy screen panels?

Hi,

Can anyone help me with recommended 'expansion' gap for this type of panel? Planning to install 4 of them on h3 treated wood frame to cover 3.6m.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/matrix-1810-x-905mm-off-white-orbit-screen-panel-with-frame_p0361879

Thanks.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Matrix Privacy Screen

Hi @backyardbandit,

Thank you for your question about filling in the gap of your future matrix panels, the panels will really be a feature piece in your yard. Our resident DIY expert @MitchellMc will be back online tomorrow to assist but let me tag Workshop members @diy_hausdesigns and @Brad who have great experience with installing Matrix panels. 

We would love to see how you transform your space so please keep us updated with photos.  

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Framed screens should have the correct gap built into the frame so the should be able to butt up to one another.

Fixing into the frame would need to be leaving enough gap for screen movement or using a hole size 10mm larger than the fastner if the screen isn't clear of your fixing.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @backyardbandit,

As @Brad has mentioned, the frame includes the expansion gaps within it, so the frames themselves can be butted up hard against each other. The only time you need to provide an expansion gap is when you place frameless panels against each other or objects. Have a look at the video I've included below. Please remember to provide a clearance hole of 10mm around fixings.

Please let us know if you have further questions or need assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @Brad @MitchellMc . I'm planning to mount frameless panels on timber.

Framless panels need a 10mm expasion gap between them and 10mm clearance holes where you fix them.

My preferance is for framed panels when butting them up to avoid gaps. Frameless is good for when you want to space them out as a feature wall.

backyardbandit
Growing in Experience

Thanks @Brad . Your suggestion makes sense. Cheers mate.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects