Workshop
Ask a question

How to improve drainage?

learninglots
Finding My Feet

How to improve drainage?

IMG_5163.jpeg

IMG_5163.jpeg

  Hello brains trust! As I’m on a slope, I get a lot of water from next door on rainy days (see yellow arrows for flow of water). The water ends up pooling on the concrete slab and hitting my workshop wall, causing some damp there. What would you recommend as a 5-10year option to improve the drainage in this area? Thank you so much.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Recommendations to improve drainage

Hi @learninglots,

Might I extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's great to have you with us.

I'd suggest you'll have to remove channels of concrete around the perimeter of the slab using a demolition saw, cold chisel and a hammer, so you can install some drainage channel that will capture and divert any of the water that's coming on to the slab from next door.

This is something that is certainly achievable for a D.I.Yer but is fairly heavy-duty work. It may be worth considering employing the services of a plumber as they will have access to the right equipment and have the knowledge to carry out this job.

If you do choose to carry out this job yourself, please make sure to check availability of the demolition saw with your local store prior to heading down and remember to wear all necessary personal protective equipment including eye protection, hearing protection, gloves, mask, long sleeved shirt, long pants and enclosed shoes.

Allow me to tag some of our knowledgeable members to see if they have any other ideas that will help to improve your drainage: @Dave-1, @TedBear, @Nailbag.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Hi @learninglots I would run an aggi pipe drainage system along your fence line to capture the water before it hits the slab & shed. Ideally on the neighbours side because it will be causing the fence timbers to deteriorate costing you both money in eventual replacement.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 10.09.37 PM.png

Kez7
Finding My Feet

You  could use the levelling stuff to help  change the drainage flow to  where you  want it to  go.  Like they use before tiling etc. 

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @learninglots ,  I agree with the methods described by @JacobZ & @Nailbag , but I'm wondering how well you get on with your neighbour.  Under every local council laws that I've seen, it is up to the owner to ensure water from their property (other than a natural water course) does not flow onto another's property. So the water coming in from your neighbour's property should be dealt with by them. Of course, it could be in your best interest to offer to help put the drains in on their side, as suggested by @Nailbag .

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"but I'm wondering how well you get on with your neighbour."

I think this is good @TedBear 

Talk to the neighbour - find out where his water is coming from - if this can be prevented, your problem might be solved or partially solved?

learninglots
Finding My Feet

Thank you all incredibly, your guidance is much appreciated

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @learninglots 

Looking at your pictures I noticed that you ahve a drain neer those steps?

Is the raised edges along the concrete area timber or brickwork/concrete?

If its a brick edge or concrete you could potentialy waterproof the inside of that area and then install a socked ag drain pipe against the fence and a fixed PVC pipe from there along the edge of the back of the patio to under the stairs and have it fall to exit over the drain grill. That way it will collect the water kind of like a fishtank/pond and drain it away so it wont impact your shed. I would fill the area with the ag pipe with large gravel.

Id also Like to say Howdy :smile: and welcome to the community, as you can see they are a large bunch of ways you could work you issue out, its something I think is really helpful as you can take some from A, B or even D options :smile:

Dave

100% agree with that advice @TedBear 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects