Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pool blanket box bench seat

ourcountrycoast
Growing in Experience

Pool blanket box bench seat

A pool blanket really works and helps keep the water clean and also warmer for longer which saves us having to turn the pool heater on. This is where this DIY will really come in handy.

FIRST THINGS FIRST :

• Some things to note: If you want to do this as a bench seat like us, you will need a low profile roller which is usually about 400-420mm high
  • The standard height for a bench seat is about 450-480mm so your feet can comfortably touch the ground when you sit down

Materials

• 90 x 45 Treated pine Hume
  • 42 x 18mm cladding Hume
  • 66 x 18mm cladding
  • Galvanized Screws and nails
  • Exterior UV WPU Membrane
  • Paint roller / Paint brush Primer
  • Gas Struts Angle Brackets 22mm
  • white plastic cushion glides
  • Flush pull handle White spray paint

Tools

• Drill and Impact Driver
  • Pocket Hole jig
  • Nail gun
  • Level

Steps

Step 1

STEP 1 : WORK OUT YOUR OVERALL DIMENSIONS

ourcountrycoast_0-1711233559226.png

The first step would be to determine the size of your bench seat Measure the width of your roller then add about 200mm so have a bit of play on each side.

This measurement will end up being the internal size of the bench seat.

As for the depth, you basically need to make sure that the legs of the roller fit in there nicely. If you have wheels like ours, you'll need to allow for them as well.

Step 2

STEP 2 : ASSEMBLE THE SIZES AND RAILS TOGETHER

768b6f_582251f7e3674eb38fa32d5f86bb2d1a~mv2.png

I wasn't quite sure how I was going to start this so I just put together 4 pieces of timber using a pocket hole jig and basically worked my way from there. This is what the sides looked like. Then I added a long piece of timber to join them both like below.. after that, this is when things started to change around...

768b6f_2b2d3065adf54bc5a58e1f3cc3d8960e~mv2.png

I then changed my mind and decided to make the long piece of timber 45mm higher to allow for the door frame to butt against it (thickness of the timber is 45mm).

My initial plan was to make the door open all the way to the back but instead I chose to make a little fixed top piece at the top back of the bench. Reason for that is : I didn't want to have to remove the cushions all the time I had to open the door to use the pool blanket.

768b6f_3b223cd324f44549badfdcfc8f97703c~mv2.png

Now that you guys are aware of this, you can oversize that back piece by 90mm and do a little check out around the ends for a nicer finish ‌‌ As per the photo, you can now add on your top back rail, screwed from the back and into the sides (sits over the ends) And you can also add your front rail (sits in between the ends). Your front rail needs to sit 7mm lower than the top of the ends and will also need to sit 52mm in from the front edge (I'll explain later) I also started to realise that the long pieces needed a bit of support in the middle, so I joined them both with a middle rail. The longer your bench seat, the more supports you'll need to add. Now that your basic frame is pretty much done, time to start making your door....

Step 3

STEP 3 : MAKING THE DOOR

ourcountrycoast_4-1711233708308.png

The door is basically 2 frames screwed together at 9o degrees with the help of angle brackets to keep it square. (Make the supports of the frames line up) These are the angle brackets that I've used from Bunnings. I know it says "suitable for indoor use" but they've been fine so far So why I asked to make the front rail sit lower and in by 7mm is because these angle brackets are 6mm thick. You'll need to allow for that thickness so that the door shuts completely. And at the front, you need to allow for the thickness of the door + the angle bracket (45 + 7 = 52) You can also router them into the timber if you prefer the front rail to be flush at the top and front The top frame of the door should be the overall width of the bench (minus 5mm on each side) And the front frame of the door should be the overall width of the inside of the ends (minus 5-10mm on each side) I then added little plastic cushion glides to the bottom of the frame ends and to the bottom of the door so that the frame stays off the floor away from water.

Step 4

STEP 4 : THE GAS STRUTS

768b6f_7aecc598da3341fb82a3a5f06bde54ae~mv2.png

By now, your bench seat should roughly look like this photo here.. Keep going you're almost there!! For the gas struts, I've added little blocks to the inside of the ends for the bottom part and for the top part, they're screwed directly onto the frame Once you've put them on, if you can open your door easily but struggling to close it, then you've probably used the correct set of gas struts! So keep it like this. If you're closing the door easily with only the frame, chances are.. you'll be needing more powerful ones. Because once this door is cladded, the add on weight will make a significant difference. These are the Gas struts we ended up using from Bunnings and the brackets for them.

THEN WATERPROOF, PRIME AND PAINT EVERYTHING.

Step 5

STEP 5: THE CLADDING

These are the two different sizes we've used for our bench: 66 x 18mm (For the outside) 42 x 18mm (For everything else) I started by adding the 42 x 18mm cladding to the sides then added the 66 x 18mm to each end.. on the top and on the front The side cladding should stick up by 45mm The 66mm wide pieces is to cover the side clads and the thickness of the frame (18+45) + a bit of glue and it works out perfectly flush Here is a photo of what the setup should look like once completed.

ourcountrycoast_6-1711233814607.png

You can then proceed with the rest of the bench seat. Where the door joins I've done square edges and where the door is hinged, the cladding will be reverse mitered.

ourcountrycoast_7-1711233814550.jpeg

ourcountrycoast_8-1711233814569.jpeg

Meaning that, the miter will close together when the door is open. that way you don't have a leave a massive gap for the door to open You'll have to cut the cladding a bit shorter around the hinges but that's it I would suggest oversizing the little pieces at the back, then run your circular saw over it and cut off the excess Fill all the nail and screw holes then spray paint the whole bench with a couple of coats For the handle, I just went with a Stainless steel flush pull handle  from Bunnings and sprayed it white Use a multi tool and do a cut-out for the handle, don't overcut it too much as these handles are screwed in from the sides

Step 6

I would love it if you guys could show me yours once you've done it and if you have any feedback or if you've found a better way of doing something as you attempt the project, comment on this post so others can see your suggestions and ideas. If you've lost motivation after reading this here are some photos and videos of the completed project 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4XhULXL3gT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

768b6f_87d1f244573a48c4afe63fa92de482f0~mv2.png768b6f_ed5d1e24b1f14e4e9241fe680fd221e9~mv2.png768b6f_fb7f7c9eb1a54a5881b14f2bb2c365cb~mv2.png 768b6f_6e0b39b8fd844f03b7dd00673ac37e9b~mv2.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pool blanket box bench seat

Sensational project @ourcountrycoast! Not only is it functional, but your thoughtful design choices have allowed it to look quite at home as a stylish bench.

Fabulous work and many thanks for sharing your detailed steps for its construction. I trust many of our members will take inspiration from it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Pool blanket box bench seat

Thank you so much Mitchell, I really appreciate the feedback ☺️

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects