Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor table using Merbau fence panel

daniel4
Having an Impact

Outdoor table using Merbau fence panel

outdoor5.jfif

Hi All.

I was inspired by this Custom Industrial Table  by @ogosh for my outdoor / backyard deck. 

Contrary to @ogosh situation, I could not source any good quality of this Pine Sleeper. (cupping or crook). Therefore I went with merbau fence panel Merbau Fence Panel

And frankly, I am a bit intimidated while working with cupping timber  👻

Earlier I built a low level deck and encountered many difficulties with cupping pine and deck timber.

But lessons learned, for sure.😃

I added bearers on top of leg table to line up with the table leg hole 3x 2 holes per leg.

It added approximately 40 mm of total table height but still maintain a reasonable height when sitting on the bench. 

outdoor3.jfif  

Completed by placing the Merbau Panel on top of bearers and secured it with bolt and nuts.

outdoor2.jfif

Placed in the deck with 2x Mimosa Merbau Bench  .

outdoor5.jfif

Thank you and please let me know any feedback.

Regards, 

Daniel

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Outdoor table using Merbau fence panel

Hi @minklet,

The main issue I see here is that the top of the legs are not positioned on a flat surface. In typical use, the screws or bolts would pull the relatively large flat surface against the base of the tabletop. So, not only do you not have the larger surface area of contact, but the legs are connected to lengths of timber that are counterlevered out in mid-air. Any wobbling the legs might normally do would be exacerbated greatly by the connection method employed here, as not only would the top plate of the leg be twisting, but the timber would be flexing, too.

The other issue that might affect the installation is that you've gone with two timber runners instead of three, as @daniel4 has used. Two of their three are located on the outside edges, which would be much more structurally sound than the two in the middle. The top connection plate of the legs will twist, causing a wobble with your setup.

It would be my advice to either try the three runners as per the original project or, better still, connect the legs directly to the tabletop.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
minklet
Building a Reputation

The reason 3 have been used in the op is because those come with 3 sets of holes drilled, these legs come with 2. I would use 3 support struts if they were predrilled, but clearly the manufacturer didn’t deem them necessary 

I will find some wood I can use to test your theory

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

As previously mentioned @minklet, I understand that the legs appear not to be incredibly structurally sound, but they were never designed to be attached to batons in such a manner, only solid panels. It is not a positive connection and leaves plenty of room for movement. It is hard to tell whether all the movement is coming from the legs or some of it is attributed to the connection method. 

If you were to connect the legs directly to the top, that would rule out the possibility of the connection method being the issue. Let me mention @dave01 for his thoughts.

Failing a solution being found, I'd be more than happy to facilitate a return on the legs if you are not happy with them.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @minklet and @MitchellMc 

Looking at those photos and reading what MitchellMc has said I am thinking along the lines of that large flat surface would go a long way to stopping the wobble of the table legs. Think a pushbike tyre and then a car tyre, More surface area, more solid connection.

Would love to see the test photos :smile: I was just thinking even if you used G clamps to secure large flat pieces of timber to the legs (If you have several :smile: ) Just to see if that surface area on top of the leg makes a difference. I am starting to think it will. If you cant source a large flat piece of timber would the table top be able to be lipped upside down so that flat surface can be clamped to those legs? 

Dave

minklet
Building a Reputation

@MitchellMc So, finally back to this. Took me while to find a decent piece of wood that wasn't going to cost me a fortune just for an experiment. Have a very very solid hardwood plank, 12g 45m roofing screws. Experimented with placement so wider and narrower distances etc.

Absolutely zero difference. Still about as wobbly as before.

btw used the same wood on the bench legs, rock solid even when I'm sitting on them.

IMG_5131.jpeg

IMG_5130.jpegIMG_5129.jpeg

  

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @minklet 

Love your description but Bugger 😕

Only thing I can think of is some more holes through the underside of the legs into the timber. I think we have covered that before 😕 Will have a think about it.

Dave

minklet
Building a Reputation

Evening!

More holes didn’t work either! Tried that.

Seems this type is wobbly, probably why they don’t sell them anymore.

As I’ve no chance of returning them the only thing left is some cross/side bracing, might as well go all in 😂

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

You can believe me or not @minklet, but I thought of this thread a few weeks ago. 😁  But couldn't find it.

I picked up this table on the side of the road.

I haven't re-read all the pages here but I think I recommended welding better bracing?

But this is the type of welded leg which would be superb in your situation. A Bunnings product? I have no idea.

20240428_132617.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects