Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New outdoor BBQ area with door

gidden81
Growing in Experience

New outdoor BBQ area with door

E595726B-FB65-4686-B7A6-D78D41284550.jpeg

Conquest247
Just Starting Out

Re: New outdoor BBQ area with door

Hi @gidden81 ,

Love the project. I have been looking to do similar and think maybe this year but the thing I'm least sure about is how to hinge the door. Can you advise how you approached this and/or what you used?

Thanks in advance

Kev

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Kev (@Conquest247). It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about this amazing project.

Hopefully, @gidden81 will get back to us with some details on their project.

Given the weight of the door, I suspect several heavy-duty hinges were used. You've then got the gas struts that help raise and hold the door in position. The struts we keep in-store are of the lighter variety, so you might need to speak with our helpful team at your local Bunnings Special Orders desk to order some more industrial-sized versions from our supplier, Goliath.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gidden81
Growing in Experience

@Conquest247 

I made a lot of mistakes when I was doing it. I design it so the  do reopen on it self when it is shut that how it stay shut. Both of the struts hold about 300kg each.  The door is made out of aluminium and so is the frame that the door is in. The rest of the bbq area is made out of timber. the hinge i used m12 hi tensile  bolts 
for me it was all try and error. I wish I could be more helpfully 

image.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Looks wonderful @gidden81 👍

I made a lifting wall for my barbecue area - but it takes serious muscle to lift it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects