Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need a gas bottle adaptor for old camping stove

MonkeyLearn
Cultivating a Following

Need a gas bottle adaptor for old camping stove

I recently acquired an old Companion camping stove. I wanted to get a mini gas bottle to use with it.

This is the fitting on the stove.

20220821_102421.jpg

I wanted to get this gas bottle.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/gasmate-camping-lpg-gas-cylinder-2kg_p3236010

As far as I can tell the fitting on the stove is no longer used on any gas bottles. I was wondering if it was possible to get an adaptor so I could use a new gas bottle without changing the hose.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gas bottle adaptor

Hi @MonkeyLearn,

As far as I'm aware, there is only the larger POL fitting on the four and nine-kilo bottles and the 3'8" thread on the smaller bottles. Camping stoves have been using the 3'8" fitting for the past 40 years or so. Have you checked to see if your fitting connects? I've never seen another size before that's become obsolete. If you take the stove into a store, I'm sure a helpful team member will be able to check it out for you.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MonkeyLearn
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc. This model was produced in the 70s as far as I know. Taking it in will be my next step.

What's the other end of the hose look like @MonkeyLearn, or is it screwed onto the stove? Although they'll look similar, the end in your picture appears to be the stove end, not the bottle end. The bottle end typically has a nut that can be tightened with a spanner, and the hole should be larger to allow more gas to flow through the hose. That end appears to have a fine-holed gas jet, which should be on the burner side.

Mitchell

MonkeyLearn
Cultivating a Following

The other end is attached to the stove, the end in the picture is tightened by hand as it has a collapsible stand and would be better for easy dismantling. Originally you could buy a Companion branded gas bottle, so it might be possible that it is a specific Companion fitting.

Interesting @MonkeyLearn. That appears to be a jet in the end; that's why it has a tiny hole. Typically the jet shoots gas into piping just before the gas is ignited at the burner. I'm unsure why there would be a jet on the bottle end. Any chance the hose is on backwards? Could you unscrew the other end and check whether it's the same? Regardless, that doesn't help the situation unless the other end is actually the 3'8" fitting.

Mitchell

MonkeyLearn
Cultivating a Following

20220823_133629.jpg

This is the stove end of the hose(It's on correctly). I have a hose off a barbeque,

20220823_134210.jpg

@MonkeyLearn,

So, that larger hole is what I'd expect to see on the bottle side, and the tiny jet hose (your first image in this discussion) is what I'd think would go on the stove side.

I'm not quite following where this second hose comes into the equation. Could you please provide more details? Your second image just posted, looks like a link hose from a BBQ to its side wok burner.

I thought I'd also add that you might like to check to see if there is a new hose in-store that has a 3'8" gas bottle fitting and that will screw onto your stove. If the current hose is the same vintage as the stove, then it well and truly needs to be replaced. They become perished and brittle after several years, and leaks are much more likely. Better to be safe than sorry.

Mitchell

MonkeyLearn
Cultivating a Following

The camping stove hose is on the right way as the other silver end doesnt fit onto the brass fitting.

The other hose was off a barbeque between the gas splitter for the wok burner to the barbeque part of it. I included it as I assumed it was the 3'8" connection as all the hoses on the barbeque were that fitting or a POL at the gas bottle.

So what I would now assume is happening here is that hose might not belong to that stove @MonkeyLearn. That silver end is almost definitely the stove side, and I'd assume your stove has a 3'8" fitting on it if you can screw the bottle side onto it. This Gasmate GMH3 Gas Hose (Suit Gasmate 2 Burner Stove) might work. See how the silver stove side is only a finger tighten? That's what I was basing my information on. The silver side typically goes to the stove and the nut side to the bottle so it can be tightened with a spanner. Traditionally, many of these camping stoves have a circular cutout in their chassis which only allows the circular silver fitting to pass through. The nut can't go through, but your stove might be different.

This would explain why the silver end of your hose doesn't appear to be 3'8", as I believe many camp stove inlets are a fine thread (compared to the bottle side). This might not be the case, and you could quite rightly be correct that it's designed for a unique style bottle. Just remember that this hose might not be correct for the unit and is currently back to front.

If the hose above doesn't work (bit concerned the extension piece on the silver stove side won't side in on your model stove), then this will, provided that it's a 3'8" fitting on the stove. Use a Gasmate Regulator Fitting With Hose and screw a Gasmate Brass Gas Adaptor Fitting Companion To POL adaptor onto it. That will give you 3'8" on the stove side and 3'8" to suit the smaller bottles.

It can actually be quite difficult even when you have the bottle, hose and stove right in front of you. Once you check it out in the store, I'm sure it will become obvious. Make sure to replace that aged hose while you're there.

I'm keen to hear the resolution. Please kept us updated.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects