Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Microchip pet door options?

Narla
Building a Reputation

Microchip pet door options?

I’ve been looking into a microchip door to stop my indoor cat using the dog door ( He has a different outdoor area and access from inside) Apart from the possibility of him following the dog out, my main issue is that they all seem to only have the option of letting all animals out so microchip only effective when coming back in to stop random animals getting in the house. I don’t have that issue so wondering if anyone has found one that works in both ways? ie only lets the microchipped animal programmed in to get outside and in. TIA

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Microchip door options

Hi @Narla,

I am unfamiliar with any pet doors with the option for microchip control as it is not an item we supply. Perhaps it would be best to contact a few manufacturers of those devices to find out if one suits your needs.

If your dog is larger than your cat, you might like to install a larger pet door that the cat doesn't have the weight and strength to open. Alternatively, adding magnets to the door can increase the force needed to open it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

MItchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Narla
Building a Reputation

Re: Microchip door options

Thanks very much @MitchellMc. I have contacted a few but no luck so far. I might try your stronger magnet idea. The current door has magnets but obviously not strong enough for my persistent Burmese lol:)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects