Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low-level deck and pergola project

TimGeo
Having an Impact

Low-level deck and pergola project

Hi,Decksmall.png

I am planning some decking and a pergola, I would like to know if I am required any planning or building permits for the following:

1: extend my decking area from my alfresco (which is situated on a slab) and extending outwards in 3 directions, adding approx. 18sqm to the current decking area, the new decking will require footings of course, and be attached to the existing bearers on the alfresco. so I was wondering how deep footings should be ideally, post holes will be 1117mm on centre along the length, and 900mm on centre on either side.

decking will be 7200mm long and 4500mm wide, with a 380mm wrap around on one side.

currently the decking perimeter is the two brick piers, see below for my plans.

deck01.png

deck2.png

deck3.png

deck4.png

2: also planning an open "Hampton style" pergola that will cover the 18sqm decking, which will be attaching to the alfresco (approx. 2300mm above planned decking) so much stronger footings required (see the above pictures, the 4 deeper footings which are offset from the deck footings will be supporting the pergola, I'm not sure on minimum required depth but I will probably attach the posts to stirrups which will be secured in the footings.

3:A second smaller decking approx. 2.8 sqm in size from the laundry exit which will be anchored from the brick wall and require some footings, however i'm unsure as to the minimum depth for footings.

laundry deck.pnglaundry deck01.pnglaundry deck02.pnglaundry deck03.pnglaundry deck04.pnglaundry deck05.png

I called Casey council who recommended talking to a surveyor, but am I better to talk to a builder? and I am unsure about having plans made up professionally, at least for the decking and pergola and I haven't worked out how much materials will cost yet but if I am able to build everything myself I would like to save on costs where I can.

thanks heaps

TimGeo
Having an Impact

Re: Low-level deck and pergola project

It's been a few weeks and I'm back onto the tools, time for a progress update.

One part of the alfresco extension is now complete! which means all that is left for me to do is the paving in between and then raise the garden bed

The goal was to have the pathway complete before xmas which I'm well on track for and will post an update in a few weeks time but here's some progress shots so far!

20231018_123200.jpg

20231027_155856.jpg

20231029_152533.jpg

20231111_133449.jpg

20231111_133458.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nice one @TimGeo, it's looking great. Please keep the updates coming and let us know if you need anything.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TimGeo
Having an Impact

Here's an update for everyone! Just poured my concrete today! If admin noticed a little easter egg, I'm wearing my workshop tshirt🤣

thanks for the tee! I'll be wearing this on all my projects moving forward!  

IMG-20231124-WA0004.jpg

I ordered more than I needed, but I'd rather have done that than have to bust my back making a trip to get a few extra bags of concrete to mix and pour.

And a quick run over with the float to get a better finish:

20231124_125020.jpg

I'll be picking pavers up from next week and hope to lay down a few soon

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low level Deck project

Hi @TimGeo 

Awesome work as always! I'm sure it will look just as good as your first concreted walkway.

Looking forward to the next update.

Eric

TimGeo
Having an Impact

Job, Done!

I'm taking a small break from the landscaping to enjoy the Christmas break,  I intend to pick up where I left off in a few weeks time with the garden bed, I hope to have my veggie patch fully decked out for the summer season of 2024😎

I know that some of you might pick up on the height of my landscaping to my weep holes, I've taken that into account and I expect the ground the settle and drop at least 20 to 30mm, the other side has dropped nicely and already needs a top up of stones !

thanks for everyone who's tuned in to my project, it's been fun so far and exhausting at the same time! And thanks to the workshop team for all the support!

20231207_185909.jpg

20231207_185936.jpg

20231207_185857.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Terrific work @TimGeo. Enjoy your well-earned break.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects