Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Lilly Pilly Tree

Chitra1
Finding My Feet

Lilly Pilly Tree

Hello,

I need some advice on Lilly Pilly Tree. I got 10 of them in my backyard. Though they are really good for screening, in the last 15 years each one of them has grown to more than 12 to 15 mts in height. Their roots are thick, lot of them above ground too. If I cut them in less than half, would they grow even higher and wider than beofre??? Or shall I just get them cut completeley and also get the stump grinded? Any advice would be really helpfull Thanks.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Lilly Pilly Tree

Hello @Chitra1,

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! We're delighted to have you join us and we look forward to your D.I.Y. projects and plans around the home and garden.

Thank you for your question on your lilly pilly tree. Let me tag our garden experts @Adam_W and @Noelle to see if they can offer any advice. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL should also be able to assist when he's back on the site later today.

In the meantime, I suggest checking out this article on How to grow and care for lilly pilly in case it helps. Our guide on How to choose a screening plant also contains some tips on caring for screening plants, including a lilly pilly.

Hope this helps.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Chitra1

Thank you for sharing your questions about your Lilly Pilly tree. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your trees? This will give our members a chance to assess the condition of the trees. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed. 

Is there a reason you wish to remove the trees? Are they not providing adequate screening anymore? Have you decided just to put up a fence instead? Usually, Lilly Pillies establish themselves in two to three years and anything after that is counted as growth. Once we see the trees we'll be able to give you better advice.

If you need a hand posting the pictures, please let us know.

Eric

. . . . . . . .

0.jpg0.jpg0.jpg0.jpg0.jpg0.jpg0.jpg0.jpg

Chitra1
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric, Please see the pictures. Though they give good screening, they are almost 12+ mt tall and big roots are above ground too. Even if I cut them in half size, they are going to grow even wilder and wider/taller more than now. 6 years ago, I got them cut in half and now they are 2 and half times taller and wider. what shall I do? I am really confused. I love trees, have kept for the last 20 years or so but it's about time that I make a decision as it's damaging the backyear and increasing so much maintainence with dry leaves and sticks plus indian mainas (birds) have nests on each tree and these birds are quite nuisance.  Please suggest. Thanks.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Chitra1

Perhaps it's time to trim the trees again? As you mentioned it took 6 years for the tree to reach its current height. If you were to add branch trimming as well it should significantly reduce the profile of the tree and the number of leaves it produces. One way to control the growth of your tree is by pruning. If you trim your trees every six months, you'll be able to control the growth of your tree. Keeping only the top branches and cutting off the ones that are coming out very low will keep it nice and tidy.

If you do decide to remove them, I suggest calling the local council first and seeing if they are willing to take them off your property.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @Chitra1 personaly I would just be having the tops pruned off at a height that still gives you screening etc.
Lilly-pillies tolerate pruning quite well. They should then get more bushy but will ultimately send more shoots upwards.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects