Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to use end cap of Sunlite polycarbonate sheet?

Frank2024
Getting Established

How to use end cap of Sunlite polycarbonate sheet?

Hi 

I am planning rrafter and other roof structure for new deck. I am considering 8mm polycarbobate flat sheet. I could not understand from the suppliers guide why they add end cap and make rafter length stricter. Is it because of potental buildup of dirsty And miicro organism ? Is it ok to use without the end cap?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: End cap of Sunlite polycarbonate sheet

Hi @Frank2024

Your  right that extra hard ware  cant trap dirt etc but to my  experiance the end caps are there to encapslate and hold the polycarbonate in place like a  picture frame as well as  roofing screws.  The other function of end caps is to help  provide a sealing point to block water leaking in. 

So yes end caps are optional but Consider how to  seal against wind and rain  movement.

I use  end caps in my builds also as a neat edge to the polycarbonate panel.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to use end cap of Sunlite polycarbonate sheet?

Hello @Frank2024 

Thats excellent advice coming from @Jewelleryrescue. Another reason you need to use the ends caps is to prevent moisture ingress inside the panel which causes mould and mildew to develop. It sounds like an interesting project, please make sure to post an update. I'm sure our members will be keen to see your roofing project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Frank2024
Getting Established

Thx Eric. I would have to  install it per the supplier ‘s installation guide - bottom end cap is a must, top end depends on

Hi @Frank2024 

If you have the suppliers  guide there it is  easy to compare to your project needs and will guide you to use it the way they designed it to work.

Some times there solution dosent quite match our  needs so  we can use there  products with a twist and we all happy:)

Have a great day.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects