Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat hardwood sleepers for making a kids sandpit?

bazz235
Getting Established

How to treat hardwood sleepers for making a kids sandpit?

I bought some hardwood sleepers to make my kids sandpit. But as I've been looking into painting it, it appears the sleepers from Bunnings are treated with CCA and shouldn't be used.

I hired a van to get them home so if possible, I'd like to use them. Is there any paint or treatment that can be used to make them safe?

bazz235
Getting Established

Re: CCA Hardwood Sleeper in sandpit

As an aside, it would be good to update this tutorial with a warning to not use the sleepers available in store:

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/How-To/How-to-build-a-sandpit-with-foldable-cover/ba-p/67782

Hi @bazz235 

Treated  pine sleeper can  be  undercoated and painted by reguler acrylic paints after  28 days of weathering as a guide.

I recommend  for the better  under coat /sealer ,  any outdoor acrylic is good.

Zinsser 1L Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Undercoat Primer Sealer Stain Blocker

I/N: 1579690

$35.98

That's great to hear. On other posts Bunnings workers were saying no CCA but if it's okay after a while then I can just keep the kids off it for a bit 👍

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bazz235,

It sounds like you are planning on painting the sleepers, which is good. In the article, we are using treated Pine sleepers, and depending on your location, there should be options like the Sienna sleepers that are not CCA-treated. It would be my recommendation to use a non-CCA-treated sleeper for your project.

Let me tag @robchin for his thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitch! Maybe the article needs to be a bit clearer about CCA.

Article:

2.4m H4 treated Pine sleepers 200 x 50mm

Bunnings listing:

200 x 50mm 2.4m Treated Pine Sleeper CCA H4

Also, Ozito links to the CCA variant on their tutorial:

https://www.ozito.com.au/diy-with-andy-candy/how-to-make-a-diy-folding-sandpit/

I'll await to hear if it's safe. Just annoying to get another van hire and dismantle this to take back and get new timber. But kids safety is first.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bazz235,

Sorry, I didn't mention that. Of course, we'll take a look at the article and update it to ensure there is no confusion about the type of timber required. I'll also pass the feedback on to Ozito, too.

The main concern with CCA-treated sleepers is contact with their surface. By painting them, that contact is not possible. However, if the 200 x 50mm Sleeper H4 Sienna MicroPro 2.4m is available in your location, then that would be my preference.

I'll reach out via private message for more details.

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bazz235

I've spoken to James, one of the managers at Bunnings Maroochydore, and he's more than happy to help resolve this situation. If you are able to wait until tomorrow, he'll organise a team member to drop off the correct sleepers to you. They will be the 200 x 50mm Sleeper H4 Sienna MicroPro 2.4m

Many thanks for your patience, and I do apologise for this inconvenience.

Mitchell

Good  and decent   solution @MitchellMc   

Maybe  it is reasonable to have  the  CCA  products  labeled  for safe use as many wont be aware  probably this  should be a manufactures warning label.

Hi all.

Sorry for the late buy-in on this one. This can seem like a complicated area. 

I think @MitchellMc is right when he mentions that there is different types of sleepers - treated sleepers. I work for Bunnings and we do sell sleepers that are CCA treated which are fine to use for some installations but not like this where there is potential for human skin contact. Normally our team members in stores will advise you if you ask them which sleepers to use. 

In the other article that is referred to here, the sleepers shown are Sieanna treated sleepers, not CCA treated - hence no warning would be required. CCA treated wood is normally greenish in colour - which is as a result of the copper in the treatment. 

Good also to know that Mitchell will follow up to ensure we get the wording and warnings on these things right. It needs to be easier for home handy people that don't have this level of knowledge.  I would note that much of the content you see on Workshop is user generated so mistakes can be made or level of detail provided might not be as much as we would like. I know the Workshop team do appreciate feedback like this which alerts them to things that need to be tweaked. 

Good luck @Jewellerrescue. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects