Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to finish off a paved area?

Joey3
Finding My Feet

How to finish off a paved area?

I have just finished paving in a 3x3m section of my L-shaped vege garden to reduce the size of the vege garden. 3 sides of the paved area are locked in by previous paving however 1 side is open to the garden. In terms of locking that side in I have seen that I should cement it in at an angle to below the road base that I put in. I brought Westbuild 20KG sand and cement for this as I was also going to use it to sweep in between the pavers. My question is 1: Is this product ok to put in between the gaps in the pavers or should I just use normal brickie sand and 2: Is this ok to use to edge off the paving section or should I get some plain cement ? Any help is appreciated.  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to finish off a paved section

Hello @Joey3 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about finishing off your paved section.

Your sand and cement plan for the gaps is good, I suggest staying with your original plan. The technique you saw online is called haunching and it would be better to use ready to use concrete such as Australian Builders 20kg High Strength Concrete Mix or similar.

It sounds like an interesting project, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the paved area? I'm sure our members would be keen to see what it looks like.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Joey3
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric. Thanks for the response. So you saying use the sand and cement mix for the gaps between the pavers and then getting the high strength cement for the haunching. I’ll post a photo when finished (although the gaps aren’t perfectly even or anything 😂). 
Cheers 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Joey3 

My best advice when wetting the sand and cement mix is to use the mist function of your garden hose gun if you have one. This will prevent the mix from getting pushed out or overly wet. Make sure to give the concrete enough time to cure before you cover it with road base.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects