Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to temporarily cover a dirt backyard?

kristian
Growing in Experience

How to temporarily cover a dirt backyard?

Hi there, 

We've just about finished building our new house (only took 33 months!). We plan on moving in next week, but we can't do the concrete patio in the back yard for a few months. 

I'm trying to think of something cheap that we can put over the dirt to prevent a weed forest from growing and so we don't walk dirt though the house for a couple of months until we can get the concrete in and do the lawn/landscaping. EDIT: the area of the dirt yard is about 90sqm.

I thought maybe just tarps, but is there something else more suitable?

Cheers!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to temporarily cover a dirt backyard?

Hello @kristian 

Thanks for sharing your question about temporarily covering your dirt backyard. Aside from using tarp you can also use Pillar 1.8 x 25m Black Jumbo Weed Control Mat along with Jack Weed Matt Poly Peg - 20 Pack. To prevent the weed mat from lifting in high wind, I suggest putting a light cover of Ki-Carma 20kg 10-20mm Drainage Gravel. The gravel can be re-purposed in another part of the garden when the time comes to lay the concrete in your patio.

I was thinking of recommending grass seed or artificial grass, but since you will be covering it in concrete then anything placed in there will need to be removed. Both the gravel and the weed mat can be re-used for other gardening projects in the future.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @homeinmelbourne for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kristian
Growing in Experience

Re: How to temporarily cover a dirt backyard?

Hi Eric, 

Thanks for the recommendations. Glad I wasn't forgetting something obvious! Good idea with the weed mat, should be a bit cheaper than buying a bunch of tarps.

Thanks again!

Kristian

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects