Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove fittings from a PVC pipe?

BrowningB
Just Starting Out

How to remove fittings from a PVC pipe?

In repairing gutter downpipes, how can I separate a PVC fitting from the pipe? 

MrSober
Building a Reputation

Re: PVC pipe joints

How do you mean? where the PVC joins the gutter? or where it joins the sewage pipes?

If you mean where it joins the sewage pipes if it has been glued you won't be able to get it out of the T join or whatever it might be. You may have to cut the pipe higher so you can attach a joint to connect the new pipe to the old pipe.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-90mm-pvc-stormwater-slip-coupling_p4750197 something like this?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @BrowningB. It's tremendous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing fittings from PVC pipe.

It's great to see that @MrSober is already on the case and has provided a helpful answer. I agree, as typically, PVC fittings are attached to the pipe with solvent cement. This effectively melts the plastics together and is not a connection you can undo. If the pipe has only been pushed onto the gutter dropper outlet, you'll likely be able to pull the connection apart.

As they've mentioned, you would cut the pipe prior to the connection leaving around 50mm of it. That will give you enough pipe to connect your new coupling and pipe.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @MitchellMc,

There is another way around this, but it isn't for the faint-hearted, this has got me and a few plumbers out of trouble a number of times and as long as you're CAREFUL and don't try and do this in 5 seconds flat, it can work quite well.

Here we go:

• Saw the pipe off from the edge of the fitting you want to re-use (as in there will be no pipe proud of the fitting)
  • Get a heat gun (electric, not a flame type) and heat the piece of pipe inside the fitting, very carefully, without overheating the fitting itself, at the same time use a small, flat-bladed screwdriver to start to separate the pipe inside the fitting and the fitting itself.
  • Once there is a reasonable gap between the two, use a pair of long-nosed pliers to get into the gap and with a twisting motion, grab the piece of pipe and remove it from the fitting, while still applying a moderate amount of heat.
  • All the while trying not to damage the fitting!

Once the piece of pipe is removed, use some emery tape or abrasive paper to scuff up the internal surface of the fitting before reusing this to give the glue something to "key" to, when you glue the new piece of pipe in there.

This may sound pretty rough, but it actually does work as long as you watch what you're doing.

I hope this helps someone.

Cheers,

Mike T.

The PVC pipe in question is a gutter down pipe shown in the picture. the problem is that it is painted and I am reluctant to cut it as I do not think it will fit into a fitting. Also I now find the long down section is pushed in at the back and I need to replace it which means purchasing 3 m of pipe. What is best- Replace the lot?front downpipe.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @BrowningB 

If you're trying to remove the entire downpipe, I've placed yellow circles on what you need to unscrew to allow you to remove the entire assembly off your house. 

If you are replacing the entire downpipe set with 90mm pipe, the basic parts are as follows:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects