Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to support 88mm timber posts?

Frank2024
Getting Established

How to support 88mm timber posts?

Hi 

I am building a covered deck. I bought  these 88 mm timber posts, and 90 mmm stirrup steel anchors. Is it ok to set up 88 mm posts on 90 mm anchor? Does anybody know if 2mm gap would have any serious impact on structural strength?

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Is it good to install 88 mm posts into 90 mm stirrup post anchor?

Hi @Frank2024 

The structual  wieght of your timber  posts is going downwards and all its load.

You  can always tap the stirrups with a hammer and close them in at a slight angle before you insert timber.

So a 2mm gap is not an issue if you are  concerned simply add a thin packer.

If there is a bolt or screws  going into the side of the stirup once tightened they  should   pull the gap  closed as well this is mainly to hold the post in place aligned  with roof fixing  point

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is it good to install 88 mm posts into 90 mm stirrup post anchor?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Frank2024. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about post supports.

I think you'll find that the 2mm difference will be closed up when you tighten the bolts. However, you could go with a Post Anchor Center Fix which will accommodate an 88mm post and not compromise structural strength.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to support 88mm timber posts?

Let me also extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @Frank2024. We're delighted to have you join us. Great to see you've received advice from our members on your question. 

Building a deck is a very popular topic among our community so I'm sure our members would love to follow your progress as you complete this covered deck. Please do keep us updated throughout your journey. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any more questions along the way.

We look forward to seeing the final result.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects