Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair collapsed fibre cement cladding?

KarenJB
Just Starting Out

How to repair collapsed fibre cement cladding?

20240107_104408.jpg

20240107_104411.jpg

 How would I repair the damage on these? This is on a balcony, one has caved in and the rest are cracked. What could I use to repair myself as replacing the whole sheet would be difficult with the glass panels there?

20240107_155145.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to repair collapsed fibre cement cladding

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @KarenJB. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing fibre cement.

I can't imagine it would be particularly easy to repair these areas. I think, at a minimum, you'd need to replace at least half the sheeting on the deck side. If the sheeting was cut back to the fence, there appears to be enough of a lip on the steal beam to rest the edge of the new strip.

Any idea what's with the plywood that appears to be in the void? Also, what are the deck bearers made from, and is this an elevated deck? If they are timber and it is elevated, maybe just check the timber to ensure there is no sign of decay. Nothing specifically indicates an issue with the deck here, but with the breakdown of the fibre cement, rotted plywood, and slightly unusual construction, I have concerns about the deck's integrity.

Let me tag @Dave-1 to get his thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @KarenJB 

😕 Ouch and a few more ouches. I think its time to have a look at whats underneath the cracked panels. Its a pool rail and you want that to be solid for sure.

The last pic is the main reason I am wondering what the state is like, that timber looks like its wet/rotted? Can you see anything from under the deck?

Also how thick is that sheeting? It dosnt look very thick at all. (I just bbought a 4..5mm sheet is why I am asking as it looks similar)

Are the cracks in the sheeting associated where the fence posts are attached? 

Will have a think about what can be done and wait a bit for you to answer :smile:

It may seem like a hard job, but if we break it down into smaller steps it becomes doable in our heads. 

A warm welcome even if it may feel like a hard question you have asked.  :smile: There are plenty of us in here that have delt with hard projects/repairs so there is a fair chance you will find enough information on how to :smile:

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @KarenJB 

Working with glass panel fencing is both difficult and dangerous. Incorrect application of force on the panel will cause it to break and shatter. In this particular situation, I suggest engaging the services of a professional glass fencing person. They will be able to safely remove the panels from the area which will then allow you to replace the damaged cement cladding. 

However, if the opportunity presents itself, I recommend renewing all the cement cladding so that you have a fresh new set. In the meantime, if you are worried about water getting into the gap of the cement sheeting, I suggest covering it temporarily with some plastic sheeting or some offcut plywood.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects