Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop neighbours smoke from entering our yard?

Davofit
Getting Established

How to stop neighbours smoke from entering our yard?

Currently, my neighbours, who are an older couple, regularly smoke outside. With my wife now being pregnant, we are trying to reduce to amount of second hand smoke that comes into our backyard. 
We are just wondering if you have any advice on ways we could minimise the cigarette smoke, or if there are any recommendations for outdoor fans that would be strong enough to blow the smoke away.

Whilst we are on good terms with them, they are an older couple, so they aren't really about to stop smoking, or change their habits (they smoke outside so the inside of their house doesn't smell), just because we ask them to.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop neighbours smoke from entering our yard?

Hello @Davofit 

Congratulations! I totally understand the need to protect yourselves from second hand smoke. There are a few things you can try. First is to build a screen wall diffuser, it's basically a simple timber wall frame covered in shade cloth

Its purpose is to be the first line of defence from the smoke. Instead of going directly to you it will hit the shade cloth and get diffused. Next is to use a Dynabreeze 450mm Silver Industrial Floor Fan, this is not your run of the mill whisper quiet is it even there electric fan.  

This is a serious fan, and you can use this fan to re-direct the air coming into your yard. Now the reason I suggested the mobile fan instead of a fixed unit is that so you can bring it inside when it starts to rain. Plus, it's a great way to recirculate the air inside the house. 

The other thing you can do is to write down their smoking schedule. Older folk stick to their routines and you can bet that this couple have a designated smoking time after lunch and afternoon tea. During those times, I suggest staying indoors and writing down more baby names.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects