Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop cats climbing fences

isomelb
Finding My Feet

How to stop cats climbing fences

Hi All, 

Any advice to stop cats from climbing fences? 

There's devices to put on fences that roll, to stop cats climbing but these are expensive. My cat doesn't like things around his neck, so I don't want a collar that links up to a cat electronic deterrent contraption. There's also sprays to spray onto fence that act as a deterrent, but I'm concerned that these just wash off with the rain. I'm more interested in finding out whether spikes on fences to deter birds, do the trick and then which ones work better - plastic, metal, long, short? 

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop cats climbing fences

Hello @alij 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us.

Keeping your cat in your yard is definitely a challenge, they are smart and are capable of figuring out where the weak point of your barrier is. My best advice is to map out your yard and apply multiple techniques to prevent them from escaping.  

Please make sure to post a photo update. I'm sure our members will be keen to see your version of the PVC fence rollers.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects