Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stain a weathered deck?

Tracylee
Getting Established

How to stain a weathered deck?

Hi, I am a new lady home owner with a few projects, my next project is bringing the front deck back to life.  It is grey weathered & dry.  I have used deck clean now what to use, oil, water resistant, paint, tinted. The inside of my house has a dark flooring. I had a friend help me make a jarrah gate. I want it to all tie in. Next project the fence. What would be your suggestion?

1000008979.jpg

1000008981.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stain a weathered deck?

Hello @Tracylee 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about staining your deck.

In order for any stain or oil to be effective you'll need to sand the surface of your timber deck. The grey parts of your deck are old and will not absorb the stain or oil effectively. This will result in a patchy unattractive finish.

The general process is to nail down the nails in your deck if any of them are sticking out, then the surface is sanded until you have a good timber surface. Sweep and wipe the surface clean then you can use your choice of oil and stain product.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

I also suggest having a look at these discussions - Starting again with the deck - sand and strip by @Baz and Deck strip, sand and oil by @DIY_Dan

In regards on what oil and stain to use, I suggest visiting your local store so that you can see on the stain sample board what the product looks like once it is applied to timber. 

I propose using Intergrain 4L Merbau UltraDeck Timber Decking Oil. This water-based oil penetrates into the timber, while also forming a protective layer on top, for a durable and long-lasting finish. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects