Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal and replace stones on spa to pool water feature?

AeolusRicky
Finding My Feet

How to seal and replace stones on spa to pool water feature?

Hi Bunnings Workshop,

I have a leak between the stones on my water feature from the spa to the pool. The previous owner filled this with silicone and a high sand-based mortar. It is easily washed away and can be scratched with a finger to be removed. I have chipped away and cleaned up under and around the stones in preparation for reapplication. 

I am looking for some advice on what to use to fill the small voids, secure the stones, mortar the gaps between the stones and regrout the tiles. The tiles were originally poorly glued down with silicone.

Ideally, I want something that is chlorine and chemical-resistant, long-lasting and waterproof for both the stones and the tiles.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

20240302_092139.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal and replace stones on spa to pool water feature?

Hello @AeolusRicky 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your stone water feature. 

There is a Sika product that might work for you, but I'll need to double check to make sure that it is suitable for swimming pool use. There is also another product called Dunlop 2kg Tile-All Tile Adhesive which is rated for swimming pool use. However, it is white in colour, but if this is not an issue then it will work very well with your stones.

The best part of the Dunlop adhesive is that it can be used as a filler in between gaps and so does double duty. As soon as I have more information about the Sika product, I'll get back to you.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @AeolusRicky 

Thank you for your patience, the Sika website specifically indicates that Sika Monotop 612N is applicable for marine repairs. It is also approved for potable/ drinking water contact. Please note that this product must be ordered at the special orders desk.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @EricL,

I will have a go at this product and post the results.

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects