Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive lawn?

bilal4190
Finding My Feet

How to revive lawn?

Hey guys . This is what my lawn looks like . Very patchy there is some weeds there too . I have seen some moss . We just bought the house don’t even know what kind of grass there is . It’s got good irrigation system installed. Returfing is not an option don’t have disposable income at the moment. 

Where do I even begin. Completely new to the lawn life . Send help
Want decent lawn got an electric Rayobi scarifier and lawnmower .

Location . Greenock SA 

Thank you

IMG_4054.jpeg

IMG_4050.jpeg

IMG_4053.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to revive lawn?

Hello @bilal4190 

Thanks for sharing your question about reviving your lawn. Looking at the photo you posted it's difficult to tell if your lawn can still be saved or it needs to be re-sown. If you wish to try for a rescue, I suggest aerating your soil first with Saxon Lawn Aerator Sandals and using Seasol 2 x 2L Ready To Use Lawn Fertiliser - Twin Pack.

You should see in a few weeks if your lawn recovers. But if only part of it recovers and there are large patches of dead grass, I then suggest re-seeding the dead areas. I propose aerating your soil again and top dressing it before spreading the lawn seed.

One other option is to purchase rolled turf and patch the dead areas. Please note that it will be necessary to remove some of the soil so that the rolled turf will be at the same level as the existing lawn.

Here are some handy discussions about reviving lawns:

Here is a handy step by step guide: How to grow grass from seed.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey Eric. 

thank you very much for the response. I do believe it’s not going to recover. 

I am thinking resending the whole yard at once . Can you please tell me step by step process . 
do I need to scarifier the yard or not ? What time of the year should I put new seeds in . And what type of grass should I put in . 
thank you 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @bilal4190 

I still suggest aerating the soil especially if it has been compacted. Scarifying the surface is an option and will certainly loosen up the soil. Any scarifying tool will be sufficient, it does not have to specialized. 

The general steps are to level the soil, add lawn fertilizer then spread the seed. It's then lightly covered with top dress and then washed with a wetting agent.

Have a look at this step-by-step guide: How to grow grass from seed.

In regards to the grass seeds, there a few to choose from, but my best advice is to pick a single type seed box. Don't get a patching mix. A good example is the  Hortico 20kg Tough And Drought Hardy Lawn Seed. It grows fast and provides excellent cover.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects