Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to resurface weather exposed concrete pathway? Area: 2mx20m

JFW
Finding My Feet

How to resurface weather exposed concrete pathway? Area: 2mx20m

When the concrete was laid, 12 years ago, the surface was overworked, bringing too much water to top, creating a powdery surface.  It was then sprayed with a cement product finish.  That finish has been peeling off, exposing the soft underneath.  The concrete mass is hard, just the top few mm are soft.  Any suggestions as to treatment to restore.  I have considered hiring a concrete grinder to remove the  soft stuff.  Can I bring the surface back to original level to match up with existing drains drains?  Suggested products to do the job?  Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.  JFW

wooshka
Making a Splash

Re: Resurfacing weather exposed concrete pathway. Area: 2mx20m.

Hi @JFW , this is a job i have had done numerous times in my workshops.

simply put we have had guys come in and resurface concrete by grinding it back and then putting a 2 pack epoxy over it in pretty much any color you like. 

You will need to do a bit of research around your area to see who can do it as you want to bring it back to the original levels

They normally dont take alot off when they grind it down though,  speak to them as its best left to the experts

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to resurface weather exposed concrete pathway? Area: 2mx20m

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @JFW. We're delighted to have you join our wonderful community of D.I.Y. experts and enthusiasts who are asking questions and sharing helpful D.I.Y. advice and inspiring projects on the site everyday.

Great to see you've received advice from @wooshka about resurfacing your pathway. Any chance you could take and post images of your pathway? This will help our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts and members get a better idea of its condition and help them provide more useful suggestions.

Let me also call upon @Jewelleryrescue, @tom_builds@Remarka6le and @JacobZ95 for their thoughts in the meantime. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JFW 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @wooshka. I agree with the suggestion that the surface must be treated first. Because it is such a large area, I suggest engaging the services of a professional so that it will halt the degradation of the concrete.

Concrete grinding will definitely be part of the repair. Patching the surface with new concrete is tricky at best, if done incorrectly the surface will crack and break apart.    

There are quite a number of options when it comes to concrete coating. I suggest having a look at the Concrete Paint available at the store and see which one is to your liking. I also propose looking at the Dulux Concrete and Paving painting system. It's a complete painting set which is easy to apply. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JFW
Finding My Feet

Thank you, EricL. Think I'll take your advice and engage a professional.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects