Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore an outdoor bench?

Yvonne79
Getting Established

How to restore an outdoor bench?

20230717_144615.jpg

Hi, I was wondering if you could advise the cheapest way to upgrade the wood on my outdoor bench, pic attached..also are there different stain colours? Thanks ! Yvonne

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: outdoor bench

Hello @Yvonne79 

Thanks for sharing your question about your outdoor bench. Unfortunately, the picture did not come up on your post, can you please try to post the picture again or email it to workshop@bunnings.com.au. Once our members see the kind of table you have, they'll be able to make recommendations on what kind of bench will work best.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Yvonne79
Getting Established

Re: outdoor bench

Opps sorry attached pic! Thanks 😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restore an outdoor bench?

Hi @Yvonne79,

Disassembling the bench by unscrewing the slats at either end and the back panel would likely be best. You'll then be better able to access the sides of the timber with 180-grit sandpaper to strip the remaining varnish/stain off the timber. To remove the weathered and grey timber, you must also sand it. You might like to try Feast Watson 1L Woodclean, which is very effective at restoring aged timber and might also strip the remaining stain out. If it works well, it will save you considerable elbow grease. I've used this product before and love it.

There are various outdoor stain options and colours for you to choose from. I'd suggest heading into a store to check out the available colours.

I just wanted to mention that you'll want to try and keep the budget for this project relatively low, as this outdoor bench is still available for a reasonable price. It's always nice to restore rather than rebuy, though.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects