Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace or rejuvenate porch slate tiles?

SharlaK
Just Starting Out

How to replace or rejuvenate porch slate tiles?

Hi,

The previous owners of my property filled some broken stale tile corners and missing grout with concrete. I added to the eyesore by accidentally spilling some paint on them. I am unsure or whether the paint was water based or oil based as it happened a long time ago and I have used both paints in this area.

Is there a practical way I can rejuvenate my small porch with some kind of paints / stains that will make it all evenly black or is it just time to retile?

If I retile is that a job that I can realistically do myself without expensive equipment hire including removal of the concrete or do you think I'd be better off getting professional help?

ThanksIMG20240318104708.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace or rejuvenate porch slate tiles?

Hello @SharlaK 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your porch slate tiles.

I propose trying to clean and buff the tiles first before you consider re-tiling. From a D.I.Y. perspective, if you've not done any tiling before, I suggest getting some basic experience first such as doing a splash back for your laundry or kitchen before you tackle a project of this size.

I recommend using a pressure washer with a patio cleaner attachment. A good example would be the Ryobi 1800W 2030PSI Pressure Washer. It has multiple tool attachments including the patio washer and multiple brush and wand accessories.

I suspect that beneath all that dust and grime is the real face of the slate tiles. Should you get the original colour back, I propose using a natural sealer to protect it from getting dirty again.

In regards to the paint stains, they should theoretically come off when you use your pressure washer, if not, I suggest using a Craftright 5-in-1 Scraper to lift and chip the paint stain.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects