Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace a side gate?

mypatrice
Just Starting Out

How to replace a side gate?

Hi Bunnings Workshop,

I am seeking advice / suggestions on the best approach to replacing an existing gate in a shared ROW.

Pictures have been included of the current setup. The existing gate has been mounted on the adjacent (neighbour's) fence. The fence is sagging slightly, causing gate to further slump.

I am currently tossing up between:

a) Installing a beam between the top of the two existing posts to prevent further sagging, and simply replacing the existing gate on the fence mounted post.

b) Removing the existing fence mounted posts / gate and installing stand-alone steel posts / gate (e.g. Fenstar Pedestrian Gate Kit - Horizontal - Woodland Grey - Supergates). My concerns with this option are that 1) the existing footing for the fence will limit the amount of footing space for the new steel post and 2) the fence will continue to sag against the post, resulting in the current issue returning over time.

Additional info that may be helpful:

- Width is approximately 900mm between posts, except for towards the top where the sagging has occurred (closer 890).

- existing posts are 50mm width.

Any thoughts / suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

20240109_160648.jpg20240109_160652.jpg20240109_161029.jpg20240109_161334.jpg20240109_161450.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Side Gate Replacement Options

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mypatrice. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing a gate.

It sounds like the underlying issue is the fence and shoring it up. Adding your brace above the gate might be all that's needed, but it's hard to tell for how long that would last. Ideally, additional fence posts or repairs need to be done to the fence to ensure it is fully supported, though I can understand it would be difficult to accomplish.

Given the fence age, I'd suggest your brace idea at the top and then go with a new gate or the stand-alone option if you can find room for the footers. Regardless of your choice, I feel the fence needs to be braced, or it will continue to sag.

Are you able to push the fence back into position and place a 900mm brace at the top?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects