Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Alfresco low-level composite deck

frediynewbie
Building a Reputation

Alfresco low-level composite deck

I always wanted to have a deck over our alfresco area since we moved into our new home. Our alfresco is only just about 10sqm so I decided to double the size and make it 20sqm by extending the deck past the concrete slab and over some soil. I used composite decking and some decking lights around the picture frame border. This is my first big DIY project and I'm happy how it turned out. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Alfresco low-level composite deck

Wow, what a fantastic result @frediynewbie. You should be really proud of your efforts. 

Get ready for lots of questions from our community about your project. 

I'll kick off the discussion: what was the biggest thing you learned along the way?

I'm sure members will also be keen to know what tools and materials you used so they can replicate your handiwork. 

Thanks for sharing,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
frediynewbie
Building a Reputation

Thanks @Jason ! 

I learned that if you do all the prep works properly, things will be easy along the way. I prepared the soil by levelling it and compact it with crushed rock. I also marked every corner to keep everything square.

IMG_6576.jpg IMG_7167.jpg

Also for materials, I used 90x45 treated timber for my joist and tuff blocks for my frame footing. I have about 180mm ground clearance to work with but due to the weep holes I had to lower the deck a bit. So with tuff blocks, 90mm joists and 23mm boards gave me a total of 163mm ground clearance which is what I needed. I also added 2 noggins near the centre of each joist to add stability. 

IMG_7178.jpg IMG_7184.jpg

IMG_7218.jpg

I only used circular saw and did not have any issues. I use rafter square as a saw guide when cutting. As I don't have long clamp to hold the boards, I used tie down straps instead. This really help me hold the boards and keep the gaps the same all through out. It's a bit tedious removing the straps and putting it back each board but it worked for me. 

IMG_7230.jpgIMG_7235.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Let me also congratulate you on the completion of a terrific project, @frediynewbie. The deck looks amazing. 

Many thanks for providing those additional photos and details about how you completed the build. I'm sure our members will appreciate your efforts.

Congratulations once again and looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Akanksha

Well done @frediynewbie, many thanks for the extra detail. I'm sure that will be helpful and inspiring to many readers.

What's next?

Jason

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @frediynewbie 

Man thats a nice look professional job! Have to agree with you about those ratchet straps, they really make life easier to do things :smile:

What are you planning to put down over the sand to go from your steps to the deck?

And the stormwater drain? did you just lower it to ground level (the one that was on the edge of your deck)

Think you need to change yoru name from newbie tho :smile: Id be using it as a showcase!

Dave

frediynewbie
Building a Reputation

Thanks @Dave-1!

The front of the deck is actually the separation between our alfresco and the fire pit corner that I plan to build soon. I’m planning to put geo fabric on top of the sand and put some stepping stones along the path. Then maybe fill the area with decorative pebbles. Still undecided with steppers and pebbles I will use. Still browsing pinterest and this forum for ideas haha. 

The stormwater drain is still there. I just cut it about 10mm higher than ground level for drainage to somehow prevent the sand from going in. Just had to wiggle the paver and tuff block a bit so I won’t block the drain. Luckily we had couple of heavy rain before I put on the composite board and was satisfying to see the rainwater draining properly 😁

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @frediynewbie 

:smile: Always satisying when you se ethe rainwater going where it should! 

And good luck narrowing down the so many ideas for pathways :smile: lol I ended up with a totally different style to what i thought of at first and only intended to have it insitu until I found more of the same style of pavers. Nope, Its going with a mixture of squares, broken pieces and recovered pavers as it suits the story :smile:

Dave

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Far out !!!! Wow ! This is fantastic @frediynewbie. I really love the lighting in the floor as well !!!! 😃🪴

kanga
Finding My Feet

Looks great, what did you use for the lighting system?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects