Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair wooden fence rail?

alwinkm
Getting Established

How to repair wooden fence rail?

1000041098.jpg

1000041099.jpg

I have a few fence rails that have deteriorated . The posts and pailings seem fine. Is there any way to repair these without replacing the rails and removing the palings to do so?

I want to paint the fence after repairing these rails

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wooden Fence rail repair

Hi @alwinkm,

That will entirely depend on how they are connected with the posts. Would you be able to take an image of that location for us? Provided they don't pass through the posts, it might be possible to replace one at a time.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi mitchellmc 

It is going through the posts unfortunately.

Is there a simple way of replacing the rails 

1000041253.jpg

1000041252.jpg

  

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @alwinkm 

Mmmm Depending on how you want it to look is what it will come down to... 

You could put a new rail immediately below it and attach it to the post with angle brackets from under the new rail.

As the rot seems to be creeping along the fence rail Id be tempted to cut at either end on the inside of the posts and put a rail in usiing the right angle brackets but top and bottom (just makes it more secure)

The rail being so rotted may be easy to pull it off without too much hassle from the palings if you are careful.

Then you could go through and put in fresh nails from the other side for the palings.

How many rails are like this btw? As it could change what you could do.

Dave

Dave

alwinkm
Getting Established

Hi Dave

It's for 5 different sections. Most are just the middle rail. One of them it looks like the top and middle rail need to be replaced. 

If I install rails on the top and bottom of the existing without it going through the posts will that be ok? I'll cut the current rail after installing the two to avoid it from falling over?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @alwinkm 

I dont see why it wouldnt work with the right angle brackets, You can get long thin ones in the builders isle (stirrup posts ect can be found in the same isle, I was just looking at brackets last week is why i know :smile: )

Not necessarily these ones but you get the idea Pryda Pergola Angle Bracket 88 x 63 x 36mm 

And removing it like you so will be a wise move after the new rail is in place. Id stay the same route as in decide to say install the new rails either underneath or on top and keep that through the length of your fence, 

Dave

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @alwinkm 

That's an excellent suggestion from @Dave-1. Placing the new rail below the old one and securing it to the post should work effectively. To add extra support to the rail I also suggest using Zenith 14G x 100mm Galvanised Type 17 Batten Bugle Head Timber Screws - 25 Pack to anchor the rail to the post. My best advice would be to examine the palings to make sure that they are still in good condition. If they are too brittle, it's best to replace them rather than attempting to nail them into the rail.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects