Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair slab drainage?

j1111
Finding My Feet

How to repair slab drainage?

Hi,

I've recently bought a house that has some signs of wear around the parging.

I've no experience really but my plan was to

-dig a ditch around the perimeter

-scrape and reconcrete/repair where the render was coming off badly.

-fill the ditch in with drainage gravel

I've recently replaced the downpipe adapters as some had cracks and were leaking. The house eaves are very narrow so i suspect there is excess moisture pooling in this area when it rains and causing the erosion.

IMG_5944.jpgIMG_5945.jpgIMG_5946.jpgIMG_5947.jpgIMG_5948.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to repair slab drainage

Good afternoon @j1111 

Welcome to the Bunnings community page :smile: Id be doing pretty much what you suggest. Tho the last step of filling it in with drainage gravel maybe if I had placed a sleeved corrugated pipe in the trench first? The damage does look like its traveled up from the ground so the water needs somewhere to drain to? 

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair slab drainage

Hello @j1111 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your slab drainage.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. Using Drain Coil is an excellent method of redirecting water that gathers or falls near your slab base. However, it's important that the end of the drain coil is properly drained out to an appropriate exit or linked to your wastewater system. 

A more robust method of diversion is to create a sloped walkway with an Everhard 3m EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate And Prejoined Channel imbedded in the concrete. In this manner, even if you have a rainstorm falling on the side of your house it will be able to cope with the deluge.

I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea of how you can layout the channel and walkway. Please have a look and tell me what you think.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects