Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair cracks in concrete table?

Allibe70
Getting Established

How to repair cracks in concrete table?

we have a large outdoor table that is cracking only on the sides of the tables

we would love to repair so nothing else cracks away so we can continue to use 

not to upset if it doesn't look pretty but at least if it is functional 

any suggestions would be appreciated 

see photos 

IMG_3451.jpeg

IMG_3450.jpeg

IMG_3452.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repair cracks in concrete table

Hello @Allibe70 

Thanks for sharing your question about your concrete table. Looking at the photos you posted it seems like the cement substrate material has deteriorated badly. If the deterioration has started on the sides, it's likely that the rest of the material has become brittle due to long term exposure to the sun. Using glues or putty will be a short-term solution and whatever you fix in place will break off as the tabletop is already brittle.

Does your table have a timber frame underneath? If it does, I suggest having a look at this featured discussion - Outdoor table using Merbau fence panels by @daniel4. This is an excellent method of replacing your existing tabletop with a timber one. Because it is made of Merbau it can used outside of the house.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you have any other question we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to repair cracks in concrete table?

Good morning @Allibe70 

Bugger! Any chance of a larger photo of the underside of the table? I am wondering how thick the actual concrete is or if its a coating of some kind?

Just looking at those pictures it looks like its the edge that is coming away, tends to make me think its a coating more then one whole slab.

One idea while we wait for the underside pic :smile: is you could potentially put a new edge around the table? Just using timber with some angled cuts for the corners. Attaching it would depend on what the thickness of the table is made up of.

Dave

Allibe70
Getting Established

image.jpg

Allibe70
Getting Established

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Allibe70 

Thanks for posting those extra photos of your table. By the looks of it, the tabletop is beginning to fracture as seen from the large giant fissures forming in the middle of the table. It looks like part of the table is made of steel, but the sides of the table are beginning to crack as well. 

The good news is that your table legs are still intact and in good condition. I propose upgrading your tabletop to a timber one rather than trying to patch the old one.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Allibe70 

😕 Thanks for the photos. It really looks like the cracks extend further then the edge. It looks like a composite type deal with the metal frame used to support the concrete coating. Id side with @EricL's suggestion that it is time for a new tabletop 😕 As those cracks on the underside are in the middle of the table and I can imagine a nice evening meal heading South very easily 😕 I think if you tried to repair the edging it would fail again within a very short time frame due to teh naturue of its construction.

If your remove the top half concrete/half steel support of the table those legs are really nice. Anything from the merabu timber top mentioned above to even a compressed concrete sheeting style would be doable. james hardie 1800 x 900 x 19mm secura interior flooring (I like the concrete style :smile: )

Wether you try and repair or switch it out would love to see the process. Any new way or attempt is just a new piece of learning :smile:

Dave

Allibe70
Getting Established

our table is 230cm long 

so the suggested fence panel idea will not work for this table 

can you provide a simple solution to change it over to timber 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Is that 230cm between the leg attachment points @Allibe70?

There are not many simple solutions when trying to change over a large custom-sized table top. As you've mentioned, that rules out a simple fence panel. @Dave-1's idea of a compressed cement sheet could work if 2400 x 1200mm were large enough. 

If you did want to try and repair the tabletop, you could fill the void inside the table's thickness with a small amount of expanding foam. Once set, it can be trimmed back to suit the contour of the edge, and any remaining edge pieces can be resecured and the edge filled with silicone. Alternatively, you could fill the void with concrete crack filler and then contour the edge to mimic the slate look. You'd then need to colour-match the repaired area to the rest of the table. As stated earlier, it's hard to tell how long such a repair would last if the rest of the tabletop is compromised.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects