Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair crack in fibreglass water feature?

Neen
Growing in Experience

How to repair crack in fibreglass water feature?

A745C548-006A-4116-ADC9-23E847823EEF.jpeg

8919101E-2FC2-4F92-AB2C-0BF4A1075C21.jpeg

4FB95AB5-59DA-4BCE-BEBC-05B944B67EC5.jpeg

 I purchased a 2000 x 2100 fibreglass/concrete water feature yesterday. During  transport the face panel received a hairline crack aprox 900mm. I thought if anything the concrete trough would have received damage but it travelled fine. 

The red line defines the crack line from the Buddha’s lip to the out edge of feature. The face panel is fibreglass (trough concrete).

What product/s  and how do I repair this crack. I’m devastated and she is my pride and joy.
Repairs are crucial prior to assembling water feature, as I don't want to risk the crack getting worse by moving it  and also need to avoid mould in the future  if used and not repaired. Also, it’s  very heavy so once in place it won’t be moved. 
It is currently laying flat on a large outdoor table waiting for me to give her cosmetics  surgery lol
Any advise us greatly appreciated. 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to repair crack in fibreglass water feature

Hi @Neen 

Nice water feature.

I would  repair the crack from  behind  the  sculptre if the crack line goes all the  way through that is.

The idea  is to use   aradite glue or  any epoxy on the crack from behind gently flexing the sculputer from behind expanding the crack slightly if  possible  while wiping the glue into the crack until it comes all the way through and has a small bead at the front you can wipe of soon.

This way the glue gives maximum support to the fault line and it seals the crack with minimal mess out the front.

Just wipe the front of the crack with turps on a cloth. for a smooth clean  near  invisable repair  .

for an extra  strong  repair use a  fibre glass repair kit as it has matting you  can glue on to over the crack to reenforce the inside of the crack fault line,

To  use matting/   Wipe  resin on crack line next  add matting on top then next coat matting with more resin until it is stuck  down.

$28.08

Hope this helps.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair crack in fibreglass water feature?

Hello @Neen, 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. I totally agree with the recommendations made to repair the damage from the back. The last thing you want to do is to attract attention to the crack at the front of the statue.

Touching up the crack with paint or tint is just as visually hazardous as it will again call attention to the damage. I propose leaving the damage at the front as is and repair it from the back. As time passes the crack will age along with the rest of the water feature and will become indistinguishable. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Neen
Growing in Experience

Thank you Eric.

As I can’t see the back of the Buddah Face panel due to it being on a table I’m pretty certain the crack is it all the way through.

If it’s lifted into position or turned over prior to repairing it I’m concerned it will crack further.

I have been advised by a Shipwright to use small amounts of resin on the front ensuring it’s only in the crack. 
He has generously given me some resin and a hardening agent that he uses . Also acetone to clean the crack prior to repair. 

Once this is dry, I will have the panel turned over to inspect if the crack has gone to the back. If so, I’ve been advised to do the same on the back as front. 
Once again thank you for your advice. 
I'll keep you updated on the progress. 

Many thanks
Janeene

Hi @Neen 

I would get some helpers and stand the face up on its footing as it was  designed to do that way you can access both sides of the repair. If it survived being put out on the table it will survive being stood up right.

To support the crack put  cloth tape or duct  tape over the split to support it while moving it.  If you need to lean the face on the table for support while the repair is in progress.

A face side  repair will possibly be superficial and messy thats  why I say lets do from the back..

Your shipwright person  is kind and help full dont forget to get fibre glass matting as that is  key to a long life repair across the  crack  I am pretty sure your shipwright person meationed that to.

I just want you  nice  face fixed an safe.

Neen
Growing in Experience

Thank you for checking in on me. 
I have used resin in the crack from the front and is looking alright. Not perfect but fingers crossed when stood up (as you suggested) I will be able to see the back and check it out better.

The shipwrights only suggested resin, but saying that if there is a crack in the back I will use the fibreglass matting.

Hi @Neen 

I think you will agree there is no harm in doing both the front and back and fibre glass webbing for that stronger  repair.  I know you like your face.

Some times I build /repair  things over  strong but in the long run things last for many years and that is a good thing  just so you know  where i am coming from. :smile:

Ps  Good  job in doing the front the more that went through the crack the stronger the  repair.  :smile:

Neen
Growing in Experience

Your right, better  to be safe than sorry.

Fingers  crossed it stays glued so I can view the back and reinforce if required.
How long does resin take to set before moving the Buddah face. I forgot to ask the Shipwright. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Neen 

Have a good look at the resin packaging, it might have an indicator on curing time. If not, I would conservatively give it two days to cure before moving it.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects