Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair concrete porch cracks?

tigerzen
Building a Reputation

How to repair concrete porch cracks?

The photo shows the extent of the crack, wondering what my options are here? Also wondering what would cause a crack of this magnitude? IMG-0936.jpg

wooshka
Making a Splash

Re: Concrete porch cracks

Hi @tigerzen , thats not a pretty sight, looking at the diffence in height where the craks are i expect there is no mesh in that slab.

best is to remove the old concrete and get it re-laid.

you can remove it your self by breaking it up and then get a grano worker to redo it or just pave it

tigerzen
Building a Reputation

Thanks Wooshka, it's not a pretty sight. It's become worse since we had a minor earthquake here in Melbourne. What are the tools required to remove the concrete, it's only about 100 mm deep, what can I expect to find underneath the concrete?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tigerzen 

That's sound advice coming from @wooshka. I suspect that water has entered the cracks and has slowly softened the soil foundation underneath. I propose engaging the services of a professional to put new concrete in that area. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @tigerzen , seeing that it doesnt look like there is any mesh in it, If you are keen for a good work out, if you buy a decent long hand handle sldge hammer, like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/trojan-8lb-3-6kg-fibreglass-sledge-hammer_p0131379.

get a lever under the edge over the concrete to lift it up a bit and then take to it with the sledge hamer , it will crack up into smaller pieces relitively easy.

I expect there should be only sand underneath

I am not sure how you will get rid of the waste where you live though

But if you can get it tidyed that yourself you can save quite a few dollars ready for some new concrete

tigerzen
Building a Reputation

Thanks Wooshka, I have a sledge hammer and you're right, disposal will be a problem.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects