Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair and maintain sleepers and outdoor furniture?

amichaelmedia
Cultivating a Following

How to repair and maintain sleepers and outdoor furniture?

Hey team

About to look at oiling my deck and furniture. 

I've noticed the sleepers around my deck which I didn't oil last year and my furniture that I did oil are showing signs of weathering and have cracked in places

Do I just apply pre wash and oil to both? Or look to repair cracks first? 

1000008646.jpg

1000008645.jpg

1000008644.jpg

1000008643.jpg

    

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to repair and maintain sleepers and outdoor furniture?

Hi @amichaelmedia 

Timber shrinks by 10% when it drys as a guide so its natural to get some cracks  but the furniture isnt in bad condition i would call it normal.

Oils are old school  because they had nothing else but are now out dated. as they stain and leak oil to other things and require  attention  yearly and simply dont seal in timber  and preserve it as good  as modern  polymeres.

I would  use and outdoor  modern sealer resistant against  UV and weather  long lasting and possible repaint every decade.

Sikkens 1L Cetol Supernatural Pine Timber Finish

Your Timber  post. You can also seal that too with the same stuff and leave the cracks there.  If you seal the cracks the post wont look great so I would seal the post and paint it in the color scheme of your  house  for the longer life span .

To  seal the post  use no more gaps external product simply wipe it into the cracks  let it set and sand the post for painting purposes.

There are other out door sealers too. sikkens is my goto product as I know it works :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair and maintain sleepers and outdoor furniture?

Hello @amichaelmedia 

Your plan of using prewash and oil on your sleeper is a good plan. However, your furniture is another matter. It appears that a form of satin sealer was used on its surface to protect your furniture from the weather. Painting over it without sanding the surface will not produce an ideal cover for your furniture.

I suggest sanding your timber furniture back to timber and sealing it back up with your preferred sealer. I also suggest having a look at Bondall 1L Satin Monocel Gold Marine Clear Timber Varnish as an alternative option for your furniture.

In regards to the timber cracks, I suggest using filler to seal them up.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects