Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a sagging Colorbond fence and gate?

Kvic
Having an Impact

How to repair a sagging Colorbond fence and gate?

The house fence line is a Colourbond fence and at the side of the house pathway has a Colourbond gate fitted.

The gate is attached to a 50mm Colourbond tube, the tube is cemented in the ground and attached the the Colourbond fence by a long screw, the screw goes through the centre of that tube. 2 hinges are also attached between the gate and tubing.

The position of the tubing is between the supports of the fence and at the weakest point.

The fence has sagged and the post and gate lean at the top which causes the gate latch to be out of level and making a adjustment to the latching system is only good for a while and then the gate has to be lifted to close.

The latch is 2 parts, one half on the gate and the other attached to another Colourbond  50mm tube which is attached to the corner of the house which has a 3mm metal corner piece that seems sturdy enough.

The latches are showing rust so I would like to remove and replace the hinges and removed the long screws at the top of both posts so there is no obstruction inside the tubes.

Getting a 45mm anything to fit inside the tube is impossible so I thought about a 3mtr 90x45mm length of hardwood cut in half would give me 2 3mtr 45x45mm lengths minus the cut that could go inside the 50mm Colourbond tube which is 1600mm high on both sides to the bottom of the tube and then a further 400mm up over the Colourbond tube of a overhaul height for 3 braces to be placed between which would be 1200mm minus 100mm to be the same as the gate width.

As both Colourbond posts are in concrete the brace at the top would then make a self supporting posts and with new latches screwed into the the post and the inner timber would make a strong frame for the gate to swing on.

I would later extend that new frame to make a tunnel down the pathway for the vines on the fence to climb on with netting. The post would be painted green before being pushed into the Colourbond posts.

My question is can I have the timber cut at Bunnings and which is the best timber to use and the standard I should use for the height of the new posts and anything I may have missed.

I feel the fix to stable this fence is to make the gate self supporting.Latch and supportLatch and supportGate to fence attachmentGate to fence attachmentScrew at top of postScrew at top of post 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair a sagging Colorbond fence and gate?

Looking great @Kvic! That appears to be a really solid solution to the issue. Well done, and many thanks for sharing, as I trust any of our members who experience a similar sagging gate will consider your approach.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects