Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint outdoor terracotta floor tiles?

Jasonf1
Getting Established

How to repaint outdoor terracotta floor tiles?

Hello Team,

Was wondering if you can provide some assistance.  This weekend we want to repaint the verandah terracotta floor tiles so would need some advice on how to remove the existing paint that is on there and what suggestions would be to prepare and repaint.

If you could kindly also provide what products from Bunnnings that can assist in the response that would also be great.

The Paint we would like to use is: https://www.bunnings.com.au/crommelin-1l-liquidstone-limestone_p1560418 

Many Thanks

Tiles.jpg

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repaint Outdoor Terracotta Floor Tiles

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jasonf1. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about preparing paving.

I'd suggest that there would be no easy way to remove the existing paint from the pavers. You'd likely need to use an industrial-strength power washer to blast the paint off or enlist the services of a professional. Trying to use a conventional paint stripper would be fraught with issues, and you'd likely end up with a huge mess. Unfortunately, Crommelins Liquidstone must be applied to a bare, porous surface, so the only way you could use this product is if you could remove all of the deteriorated paint.

A similar issue arises with almost all masonry coating products; they must go over non-deteriorated paint or bare masonry. There is the Rust-Oleum 3.78L Concrete & Garage Recoat Primer that can be used over the deteriorated paint, though it is only tested with Rust-Oleum 3.78L Battleship Grey Concrete And Garage Floor Paint and Rust-Oleum 3.78L Armour Grey Concrete And Garage Floor Paint.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Jasonf1 

One more bit of advice to add to @MitchellMc's is to have a look at the recomended temperture range for painting, especially outside. I was researching to paint my patio and ended up choosing a paint outside Bunnings ( :surprised: lol) When I was reading the specs by chance I saw the recomendation for 10-30 deg celsius was the temperture range to paint plus not recomended first thing or last thing of the day. I noticed the paints at Bunnings also have temperture recomdations of which before I relaly didnt notice or pay attention.

Dave

@MitchellMc  Thank you so much for the info, i have a https://www.bunnings.com.au/gerni-2300w-gpw-7300-high-pressure-washer_p0235521 at home so ill try that first and see how I go.  If the paint peels off with just regular walking then I might be in luck.

Jasonf1
Getting Established

Cheers @Dave-1  ill make sure to check the temperature, this weekend in Syndey is going to be a scorcher as well.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Jasonf1 

I bought a wire wheel for my drill to "buff" off any flaky paint that was left after I usedthe  high water pressure washer. It worked resonably well.

I would note to make sure you do remove any little bit of flaky paint before painting. I havnt posted my patio painting project yet but when I repainted the patio I found that the new paint would get under the flaky paint and lift it, actually curled upwards  :surprised: I thought I had removed it all but there were a couple of spots that I missed. Easily fixed but a pain.

Looking forward to seeing your pics :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects