Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint a concrete floor?

krishna
Growing in Experience

How to repaint a concrete floor?

Hi All,

I am planning to paint my concrete floor at the front and back of the house.

The current paint is peeling off in some areas. So what is the best way to remove the old paint.

Thank you,

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Concrete floor painting

Hello @krishna

Thank you for sharing your question about painting your concrete floor. There are a few methods to remove the old paint on your floor, you can use a paint stripper or a grinder with a stripping disc. If you use the paint stripper, you'll need to dispose of the melted paint properly. If you use the grinder you must mask off the areas you don't want to be covered with paint dust. Please make sure to wear goggles, gloves, disposable overalls and a dust mask when using either product.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
krishna
Growing in Experience

Ericl - Do I have to strip the pain completely or Can I sand it a bit to make it rough and paint on top of it.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@krishna,

Could we please trouble you for some photos so we can see what you are working with and provide more helpful and specific advice?

Let me know if you need a hand uploading some shots. 

Jason

krishna
Growing in Experience

Yes, I will take some pictures this evening and will update here.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @krishna

The reason I recommend removing the old paint is that you won't be able to tell which sections of your painted floor are compromised. You could take that chance of sanding the painted floor and leaving patches of paint still attached, but once you paint it and sections start to peel or chip off in a few months you'll be forced to sand that section again and reapply the paint.

I understand that it is quite a commitment in time and effort, but if the flooring area is prepared properly the flooring paint will provide a long service life.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

krishna
Growing in Experience

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 8.45.05 am.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-25 at 8.45.38 am.png

Ignore the water. I washed it to clear the dirt.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @krishna,

Concrete paint is designed to be applied over prepared concrete, or it can be applied over previous paint if it is not compromised. Your grey paint coating is compromised by peeling and flaking. It is not a suitable surface to paint over. Unfortunately, the brown surface (paint?) also appears not to be a suitable surface to paint over, as the grey paint obviously hasn't been able to adhere correctly. So, it's a bit of a double-edged sword, you can't paint over what's there, and even if you removed the grey paint, the brown paint doesn't appear to be a suitable substrate either.

Unless you are prepared to grind all the paint back to bare concrete, which would be a reasonably intensive process, I recommend you take a scraper and chip away any loose grey paint. You might like to give the whole surface a light sand with 180-grit sand before coating it with your new paint. Remember to wear a dust mask and protective eyewear. This should be seen as a temporary solution. The new topcoat will only ever be as strong as the compromised substrate. However, if you're lucky, you might see several years of life out of it.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects