Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renew Merbau decking area?

bowmatty
Building a Reputation

How to renew Merbau decking area?

IMG_1469.jpgIMG_1471.jpgIMG_1472.jpg

Hello all, 

I'm going to redo my outdoor decking area. I believe the wood is Merbau. I was originally thinking about just staining it in a similar colour, however i have now seen some grey colours and thinking i may do this instead. With going grey is this possible if the wood is already a brown colour? 

My Plan: 
1. Preasure house deck. 
2. Apply a chemical to remove stubborn dirt and stains.
3. Sand deck and rails back.
4. Clean deck with sugar soap or similar. 

5. Allow to dry.
6. Paint with an oil or stain.  

Any other suggestions please let me know. 

Thanks 

bowmatty
Building a Reputation

Re: How to renew Merbau decking area?

You are right Jason. 

So, you recommend me to apply the last two coats to finish? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's correct, @bowmatty. @Jason is recommending you continue and finish off with the last coat/s. I'd tend to agree that a few inconsistent areas are a small price to pay for an amazing-looking deck. You've done a great job, and your deck looks wonderful.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Absolutely, apologies if I wasn't clear @bowmatty.

Jason

bowmatty
Building a Reputation

@Jason @MitchellMc 

Here is a picture of the deck with a second coat. I'm quite impressed with how it turned out. 

Just curious to know how much oil should I to be using. My decking area is 60m2 so that should be 6 litres per coat, right? i have used around 9 litres for two coats, I didn't go too thick with the oil. I'm hoping its enough and not too thin. IMG_1945.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@bowmatty 

Id be impressed also! :smile: That looks like its just been put in, The whole area really looks new now.

So whats the next project? :smile:

Dave

bowmatty
Building a Reputation

I've got one more coat on this to go. 
Then going to focus on deco for this area and make it a nice area to relax in. 
Going to have a break after this and spend time with the kids. I've been non stop since we bought this house :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

AMAZING work, @bowmatty! The deck looks sensational, and you should be REALLY proud of your efforts. I don't think it could come out looking any better than this. I'm just looking back at your first images, and just WOW! What a difference. Splendid work!

If you were applying the product too thinly, you would probably see lap marks and inconsistencies with coverage. Looks all good to me.

You're likely fine with the two coats you have on now. The timber appears fully nourished. To test whether more oil could be taken up, place a few small droplets of water on a board in an inconspicuous area that's not in the sun. If the water beads and doesn't get sucked into the timber within a couple of minutes, the timber is fully saturated with oil and doesn't need any more. You could apply another coat if the droplets don't want to bead and get sucked straight into the timber. However, it likely wouldn't hurt to do the third coat; but that's only required in harsh conditions like full sun.

Well done, and thanks so much for taking us on this ride with you. This will be an excellent resource to point members to when the question of oiling a deck arises.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects