Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove sliding fly screen door?

Craig124
Just Starting Out

How to remove sliding fly screen door?

Hi, I have a sliding Fly screen door which I need to remove to replace the mesh. I have been told the door can't be removed because of deck is in the way. There is a 5mm or so gap between the door and the deck. Is that enough room to lift and drop the door down to remove. If not, can the door be moved past centre to carry out the removal? Please see photos.

Photo 1: The door on the LHS is the one I wish to remove to replace the flywire.

Photo 2: Shows the left-hand door fully closed with the clearance from the deck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Fly Door 1.jpegFly Door 2.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to remove sliding fly screen door?

Hi @Craig124,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. We trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our wonderful community members.

Apologies for the slow reply. We weren't able to have one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts on the site over the weekend due to unexpected leave. 

Let me tag some helpful and experienced members to see if they could share their thoughts on how they would remove this door: @jaiprak@Dave-1@Jewelleryrescue.

Thanks for your patience,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @Craig124 

I just went out my back door and tried to remove the screen section :smile: 

I thought much like you that it should lift up and out like a fly screen.

Nope 😕 It looks like for my door the bottom L shaped plate that holds the door insitu and is riveted to the base plate needs to be removed first.

If you look around the frame of the door you may find a sticker or plate with the compananys name on it. Id google the name and see if there is an instruction to remove it. I am sure there will be a simple way once the model is known.

The only thing I can think of is how you were told that the deck is in the way, is that maybe the door needs to slide sideways to the left if an end stop is removed to remove the actual door?

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Craig124,

It sounds like you're all over it. You have that small gap to the left, but the door must also clear the frame of the right-hand side door/midway dividing frame. I suspect that once you move the door to the left enough to clear the frame/door on the right, you will be impeded by the deck. That's a bit of a conundrum, really.

Is that a mid-frame between the doors that comes down from the top to the bottom, or do the two doors meet each other? If there is no midframe, is there a governor that stops the left door from moving further to the right once the right side door has been opened? 

What's up with the flyscreen? Is it torn?

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects