Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach pergola joist to existing alfesco?

manimpl
Finding My Feet

How to attach pergola joist to existing alfesco?

20240225_185249.jpg

20240225_185239.jpg

Hi team, I am trying to attach pergola joist on the existing alfresco area with 140x45mm timber. What is the best way to do it? Need some help on choosing correct bolts and how many needed  to secure it strongly?

Thanks 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to attach pergola joist to existing alfesco?

Hi @manimpl,

Do you have a sketch or plan for this build that you could share so members can get a better idea of what you have in mind?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

IMG-20231030-WA0013.jpg

 Hi Jason, I am trying to replicate the same to my house. The difference is that I am attaching it to a timber frame, as per my previous photos.

The length is 5.7m and the width is 1.9m. Please let me know of you want further details.

Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @manimpl,

You'll need to have an engineer assess the house beam to ensure it is structurally capable of supporting your new structure. If it is, they can provide advice on attachment methods. Without that knowledge, you'd want to create a self-supporting pergola structure with additional posts instead of attaching to that beam.

Unfortunately, without information on whether that beam is already at max capacity, we can't know whether adding your structure will compromise it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects